How can I build my own Parameter Info Tooltip? RRS feed

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting here!

>>what I would like to do is to implement my own tooltip (in other words, draw it myself).

Do you mean you want to draw your own Parameter Info Tooltip, or use a tooltip control?

Tooltip (It is about the tooltip control.)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb760246(v=vs.85).aspx

Best regards,

Sunny

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 2:44 AM
  • Hi,

with "tooltip", do you mean parameter-info, auto-complete, or quickinfo (if you hover the mouse over a symbol you get some info like type and location displayed in a small quickinfo-window)?

If you mean the latter than yes, it is possible. For the other two, I do not know. So in case you want to draw your own quickinfo, let me know and I try to give you more information.

Max

Thursday, May 8, 2014 6:10 PM
  • Thanks for the replies,

I meant the Parameter Info Popup when working with the parameters of a function:

Is there a way of re-painting this? I would like to display the info in a different manner.

Thanks!
    Thursday, May 8, 2014 6:22 PM
  • Hi.
    You have 3 ways of doing what you want:
    For ANY version of Visual Studio:
    1) You must implement your LanguageService and replace existing one (it could be very difficult task) This is your second link in your question.
    2) You could sniff for <ctrl>+<space>, <(> or some other keyboard events and just place your Window with your tool tip (i.e. WPF with any contant what you want). This is your first link in your question.
    For VS 2010+:
    3) You could give Editor your ISignatureHelpSourceProvider: Walkthrough: Displaying Signature Help (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee334194.aspx)
    If you are "maniac" (this way is more complex and requires a huge knowlage):
    4) You could write your own Editor (itself) and embed it in Visual Studio (for example ReSharper do so in VS 2005/2008).

Suppose it helps.

• Proposed as answer by Anna Cc Wednesday, May 14, 2014 3:56 PM
    • Edited by Sergey - SK Saturday, May 17, 2014 2:23 PM
    Saturday, May 10, 2014 8:44 AM
  • The Walkthrough: Displaying Signature Help topic illustrates how to do this.

Sincerely,

Ed Dore

• Proposed as answer by Anna Cc Wednesday, May 14, 2014 3:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by maximus37 Wednesday, May 14, 2014 3:58 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by maximus37 Friday, May 29, 2015 1:45 PM
    Wednesday, May 14, 2014 12:06 AM
  • Exactly what I needed !! Thanks Ed :)
    Wednesday, May 14, 2014 3:58 PM
  • Hi again,

The walkthrough doesn't show how to "repaint" the tooltip. Is there any documentation on custom painting the tooltip so that I can re-arrange the information exactly as I want it to appear??
    Friday, May 29, 2015 1:46 PM
  • Sergey, where can I find more info on your point #4 ???

"4) You could write your own Editor (itself) and embed it in Visual Studio (for example ReSharper do so in VS 2005/2008)."

Thanks!

Friday, May 29, 2015 1:47 PM
  • Anyone know?
    Thursday, June 11, 2015 2:14 PM