Audio Library App

General discussion

• I am developing an app that uses original mp3 audio (no video) content tagged with traditional "title" "album" etc. tags. I would like to offer a library of audio mp3 files for download or streaming.

I've been playing with the C# xaml player example and like the way it works, but that is only one piece of the puzzle. 

Before getting too deep into this I want to make sure I'm making the best "best practices" decisions I can regarding app structure.  My initial thought is to store the files on an azure cloud and offer download and streaming functionality to customers (again ... all original files ... not copyrighted content). 

I'm also thinking I'll need a sql database that will read the tagged content from my audio files for organizational purposes. For example if I want to offer a genre like "hard rock" or "easy listening" and then break that down into a menu structure (using data from the tagged audio files), I'm thinking I can store those variables into a sql table for that.

I'm just asking for general ideas on this and if anyone out there has developed such a beast.  Specifically, I'm wondering if:

• What is my best development platform (C#, C++, JavaScript, etc.)?
    • Is Azure a good solution to store a lot of audio files for streaming and download (versus, for example an Amazon solution)?
    • Is a sql database the best way to organize tagged audio file content?
    • Am I overthinking this thing?

FYI - Up to  now I've been an xcode developer on the iOs side and I thought I'd give this a go.  Any help and / or suggestions from an architectural standpoint is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 7:13 PM

All replies

• Hi Bret,

You may be better off asking questions about implementing your server on a server-oriented forum. The Windows Store apps forums are for discussing writing Windows Store apps, which would run on the client. For a client of this sort the language probably doesn't matter: I'd use whatever you're most familiar with.

That said, an Azure SQL database does sound like a good fit for this on the server side. See Data Management | Windows Azure for more information.

--Rob

Thursday, December 5, 2013 11:26 PM