none
WES 2009 Image missing a lot of components RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

I am currently trying to build a WES 2009 image to deploy to our thin clients via SCCM but once deployed it seems to be missing quite a lot of things, e.g I am unable to launch device manager as devmgr.dll is missing among many other things. 

I created my image by doing the following:

1) installed the embedded studio from the WES 2009 disc

2) Ran Tap.exe on  a thin client to generate a .pmq file

3) opened MS Target Designer and imported my .pmq file

4) Under "design Templates" I added Thin Client

5)added Sysprep (and not system Cloning, am I right in thinking this is correct for WES 2009?)

6) ran a dependancy check

7)resolved tasks

8)built the image

9) used imagex.exe from WAIK to build a wim file

10) deployed the WIM from config Manager 2007 to a terminal

Can anyone see what I have done wrong here, I desperatly need a fresh pair of eyes on this problem

Thank you

EDIT: I am just looking through the component help chm file and I have found the Device manager component under Software\System\User Interface\Shells\Windows Shell\Device Manager

When I look in my Target Designer that isnt there.... Im guessing this is the problem. Im not at work at the moment so cant test anything :(

I will test tomorrow and post my results

Wayne

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 8:17 PM

Answers

• There are lots of articles, a few videos, and a couple of books on the subject: http://www.seanliming.com/Articles.html and http://www.annabooks.com/Products.html

The idea is to create a master image that you can deploy to the target system. The master needs to be setup on an actual target to verifiy all features are working.

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

• Marked as answer by Wayne-0 Saturday, February 25, 2012 2:25 PM
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 4:06 PM

All replies

• This forum is for POS Ready.

System Cloning Tool is better and simpler than Sysprep for WES2009.

Once you built the image did you run it on the target so it goes through FBA? Did you create driver components for any missing device drivers?

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Thursday, February 23, 2012 7:52 AM
  • Hi Sean,

Thank you for the advice rearding system cloning tool, I will try that instead of sysprep.

Once I built the wim file and deployed it, it runs through FBA and then windows starts. Should I be recapturing at this point? im a little confused now.

And regarding creating driver components can you elaborate?

sorry this is all relatively new to me, I have nevern built an embedded image before

EDIT: sorry just been googling "xp embedded create driver components" and found loads on it... Just woken up so please forgive me :)

I will post back when I make progress

Thank you

• Edited by Wayne-0 Thursday, February 23, 2012 8:11 AM
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 7:56 AM
  • There are lots of articles, a few videos, and a couple of books on the subject: http://www.seanliming.com/Articles.html and http://www.annabooks.com/Products.html

The idea is to create a master image that you can deploy to the target system. The master needs to be setup on an actual target to verifiy all features are working.

-Sean

• Marked as answer by Wayne-0 Saturday, February 25, 2012 2:25 PM
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 4:06 PM
  • Thanks Sean, after watching your videos I am a lot more confident that I am going about this the right way. I now have loads of components added to my image and it is working a whole lot better.

Many thanks for the help

Wayne

Saturday, February 25, 2012 2:26 PM