How can I get a textbox when getting focus on an IPad to select the text? RRS feed

• Question

• User-858993849 posted

What is the trick in getting a textbox when getting focus on an IPad to automatically select the text?

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 9:48 PM

Answers

• User-1360095595 posted

Let me describe what I think you're saying/asking...

In a webform, if you tab into a textbox the text is highlighted. But if you click in a textbox the text is NOT highlighted. And this would seem to be what you'd find on an iPad also because you might be moving to the next textbox by clicking inside (with your finger).

If that is the case, I came up with a solution on the computer (which works), which might also work on an iPad; I'm not sure; can't test on an iPad...

Here's the solution:

$(':text').focus(function () {
    	$(this).select();
    });

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, August 21, 2014 2:56 AM
  • User-1360095595 posted

Have you tried the solution(s) here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/480735/select-all-contents-of-textbox-when-it-receives-focus-javascript-or-jquery

They mention issues with Webkit, which I believe safari is built on.

Thursday, August 21, 2014 9:06 AM
  • User281315223 posted

You can simply add some inline Javascript to your particular TextBox which will trigger the select() method to select all of your text, but you'll also need to add another event to prevent it from being unselected after focusing as follows :

<!-- The onfocus event will select your text, the onmouseup event will prevent it from being unselected -->
    <input onfocus='this.select();' onmouseup='return false;' value='Example' />

or if you needed to handle this on an ASP.NET Textbox :

<asp:TextBox ID="YourTextBox" runat="server" Text="Example" onfocus='this.select();' onmouseup='return false;'></asp:TextBox>

You can see a basic example here

Additionally, you can try just using the onclick event as well :

<input onclick='this.select();' value='Example' />

I'll try doing a bit of testing on an iPad to see if these work at all, but they should be two options that seem to work on broswers.

Thursday, August 21, 2014 9:48 AM
  • User281315223 posted

Alright, so it looks like the other approach didn't work on an iPad or iPhone, however the approach mentioned here seems to fix it :

<input onclick='this.setSelectionRange(0,9999)' value='Example' />

Using the setSelectionRange() function, it properly highlights the text when the element is clicked. You can see a working example here or navigate to http://jsbin.com/tixuz/3/edit on your iPad / iPhone.

Thursday, August 21, 2014 9:54 AM

All replies

• User-1360095595 posted

Let me describe what I think you're saying/asking...

In a webform, if you tab into a textbox the text is highlighted. But if you click in a textbox the text is NOT highlighted. And this would seem to be what you'd find on an iPad also because you might be moving to the next textbox by clicking inside (with your finger).

If that is the case, I came up with a solution on the computer (which works), which might also work on an iPad; I'm not sure; can't test on an iPad...

Here's the solution:

$(':text').focus(function () {
    	$(this).select();
    });

Thursday, August 21, 2014 2:56 AM
  • User-858993849 posted

Actually that isn't what is going on with the iPad.  As you probably know, when the keyboard pops up for an iPad, you have a tab (arrow) key to go to the next control and one to go to the previous control. Whether I click on the textbox or tab to it on the iPad, either way the textbox isn't highlighted. I had tried what you recommended, but no luck.

I appreciate your efforts.

Thursday, August 21, 2014 7:32 AM
  • User-1360095595 posted

Have you tried the solution(s) here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/480735/select-all-contents-of-textbox-when-it-receives-focus-javascript-or-jquery

They mention issues with Webkit, which I believe safari is built on.

Thursday, August 21, 2014 9:06 AM
  • User281315223 posted

You can simply add some inline Javascript to your particular TextBox which will trigger the select() method to select all of your text, but you'll also need to add another event to prevent it from being unselected after focusing as follows :

<!-- The onfocus event will select your text, the onmouseup event will prevent it from being unselected -->
    <input onfocus='this.select();' onmouseup='return false;' value='Example' />

or if you needed to handle this on an ASP.NET Textbox :

<asp:TextBox ID="YourTextBox" runat="server" Text="Example" onfocus='this.select();' onmouseup='return false;'></asp:TextBox>

You can see a basic example here

Additionally, you can try just using the onclick event as well :

<input onclick='this.select();' value='Example' />

I'll try doing a bit of testing on an iPad to see if these work at all, but they should be two options that seem to work on broswers.

Thursday, August 21, 2014 9:48 AM
  • User281315223 posted

Alright, so it looks like the other approach didn't work on an iPad or iPhone, however the approach mentioned here seems to fix it :

<input onclick='this.setSelectionRange(0,9999)' value='Example' />

Using the setSelectionRange() function, it properly highlights the text when the element is clicked. You can see a working example here or navigate to http://jsbin.com/tixuz/3/edit on your iPad / iPhone.

Thursday, August 21, 2014 9:54 AM
  • User-858993849 posted

Thanks! That worked.  Now how can I do the same thing when the textbox gets focus? I have tried using the .focus() and the same function, and either I am doing something wrong, or it won't work. 

For example, when I click on the textbox, your code now has it doing the select all. But if I do a tab to it, it doesn't.  Any ideas?

Monday, August 25, 2014 9:05 AM