none
Exchange Server 2007: How to know whether an email (item) is fresh or a replay to conversation/email? RRS feed

• Question

• I am using MS Exchange 2007 webservice to get the emails using GetItem() method. I want to check if an item (email) is a fresh email or it is a replay to some other email.
    How can I check this? Can I check if an email is a part of the conversation?

PS: I am connecting directly to exchange server, I am NOT using outlook APIs.

Thanks!
    Sandeep
    Sandeep Aparajit | Home | My Blog | Photography | Mark useful posts as Answer/Helpful.
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 5:15 PM

Answers

• Sandeep,

There is no definitive way to determine whether or not an e-mail is a reply to another e-mail or a newly delivered one. This is the responsibility of the client. However, you could use ConversationIndex to determine if that e-mail is a part of a specific conversation thread.

Does this information answer your question?

Dominic Michael Salemno
    Senior Support Escalation Engineer

Tuesday, October 13, 2009 5:08 PM

All replies

• Sandeep,

I'm assuming you are referring to the GetItem operation found in [MS-OXWSMSG] (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee201574.aspx) on Page 14 in Section 3.1.4.2. Is this correct?

You also want to confirm that an e-mail is a new e-mail or a reply (or response) to another e-mail that has been previously sent, correct?

Also, by conversation, are you referring to the "Arranged By" filter present in Outlook 2007?

Dominic Salemno
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 7:30 PM
  • Thanks for your reply Dominic!
    Yes I am referring to the GetItem operation. I am able to get the unread email items from a specific folder in the exchange mailbox. Now I want to know whether the item is a new e-mail or a reply (or response) to another e-mail. By the term "conversation", I just mean the 'reply for e-mail'. I didn't mean the Outlook "Arrange By" filter.

How can I check if the e-mail is a new one or a response (or reply) to an existing item?

Thanks!
    Sandeep

Sandeep Aparajit | Home | My Blog | Photography | Mark useful posts as Answer/Helpful.
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 8:32 AM
  • Sandeep,

I am investigating your question and will update you as things progress.

Dominic Salemno
    Saturday, September 19, 2009 1:28 PM
  • Thanks Dominic!
    Monday, September 21, 2009 2:56 PM
  • Sandeep,

I am still investigating this and should have an answer for you shortly.

Dominic Salemno
    Friday, October 9, 2009 1:04 PM
  • Sandeep,

There is no definitive way to determine whether or not an e-mail is a reply to another e-mail or a newly delivered one. This is the responsibility of the client. However, you could use ConversationIndex to determine if that e-mail is a part of a specific conversation thread.

Does this information answer your question?

Dominic Michael Salemno

Tuesday, October 13, 2009 5:08 PM