none
Could not find SDK "Bing.Maps.Xaml RRS feed

• Question

• In Visual Studio 2012 I want to create a new Win 8 store app with a Bing Map, something I have done numerous times before. However, this time, although I have installed the Bing Maps SDK for Windows Store apps, it does not show up under Windows Extensions when I attempt to add a reference to it.  If I look under Tools | Extensions and Updates, it is listed as installed.

I have uninstalled it in the app, then gone and run the Bing.Maps.vsix file again. The installation tells me that it has been installed on all appropriate programs. But I still cannot locate it so as to add a reference.  I find what I think should be the path: C:\Users\William\AppData\Local\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.0\ExtensionSDKs\Bing.Maps.Xaml, but there is nothing in the folder.

I also have Visual Studio 2013 installed on this computer along with the Bing Map SDK for Win 8.1.  Could this be causing the problem? 

Any ideas?

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 2:31 AM

Answers

• I don't believe you can have both SDK's installed at the same time. Note that you should be using the Win 8.1 SDK since every Windows 8 user is likely to install Windows 8.1 in the near future.

http://rbrundritt.wordpress.com

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 8:52 AM
  • Looking at the current market share data online it looks like 1/3rd of Windows 8 users have upgraded to 8.1. That said there are a devices that are still being sold with Windows 8 installed on them. It's only a matter of time before these are upgraded. Note the Windows 8.1 version of Bing Maps fixes a bunch of bugs that are in the Windows 8 version of the app.

One option is to have a VPC with Windows 8 on it so you have a development environment for Windows 8.

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 3:24 PM

All replies

• OK.  Problem solved--but I do not like the solution.

In Visual Studio 2012, under Tools | Extensions and Updates there was also a listing for the Bing Maps for Win 8.1 as installed.  Why I don't know since you cannot create Win 8.1 Windows store apps in VS 2012.  Once I uninstalled that, restarted VS 2012, then went and ran the Bing.Maps.vsix file again to install Bing Maps for Win 8 store apps, I could add references to Bing maps in my Windows 8 store app.

Now the bad part:  I can no longer add a reference to the Bing Maps Win 8.1 SDK in my Win 8.1 store apps using Visual Studio 2013.  So you cannot apparently have both SDKs functioning at the same time.  Thus, on the same computer I cannot at the same time work on Win 8 store apps and Win 8.1 store apps that use a Bing map.  I have to disable one SDK to get the other to work.

Please correct me if I am wrong about this.

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 2:58 AM
  • I don't believe you can have both SDK's installed at the same time. Note that you should be using the Win 8.1 SDK since every Windows 8 user is likely to install Windows 8.1 in the near future.

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 8:52 AM
  • I have two reasons for using the 8.0 SDK instead of the 8.1.  First, I need to maintain my Win 8 store apps that use Bing maps.

Second, I created a new Win 8.1 app with a Bing map, and it received very few downloads. I was told that you would be surprised at how many Win 8 users have not upgraded to Win 8.1, so I wanted to create a Win 8 version of that app.

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 2:48 PM
  • Looking at the current market share data online it looks like 1/3rd of Windows 8 users have upgraded to 8.1. That said there are a devices that are still being sold with Windows 8 installed on them. It's only a matter of time before these are upgraded. Note the Windows 8.1 version of Bing Maps fixes a bunch of bugs that are in the Windows 8 version of the app.

One option is to have a VPC with Windows 8 on it so you have a development environment for Windows 8.

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 3:24 PM