Query to update master table data from other tables based on foreignkeys RRS feed

• Question

• User136609187 posted

I have the below 3 tables in DB.
    EmployeeMasterData is the master table and it has foreign keys DesignationId & DepartmentId from EmployeeDesignation and EmployeeDepartment.
    The problem is i need to update this EmployeeMasterData from a temporary table and this table has only Designation & Department.So need to fetch corresponding
    DesignationId & DepartmentId and update EmployeeMasterData.

EmployeeMasterData

EmpId | FName |LName | DesignationId

EmployeeDesignation

DesignationId | Designation

EmployeeDepartment

DepartmentId | Department

Iam doing a bulk copy from excel to a temporary table and from this table i need to update EmployeeMasterData.So in this temporary table I have the below columns

EmpId Department Designation Dob ... etc and all other data present in EmployeeMasterData expect the foreign keys DepartmentId & DesignationId.

From this temporary table I have to update the EmployeeMasterData.

How can i get the DepartmentId and DesignationId from the EmployeeDepartment and EmployeeDesignation master table based on

each EmpID and update the DepartmentId & DesignationId on EmployeeMasterData table for all employees.

Please help me out with a sample sql query

Thursday, March 3, 2016 4:39 AM

All replies

• User-1768369891 posted

HI 

chithra_iyer

Try this if your user define table is @tbl which having columns likes EmpId Department Designation Dob. 

Update EmployeeMasterData 

SET DesignationId = Isnull(Ed.DesignationId,EmployeeMasterData.DesignationId)   

From @tbl as temptable 

Left Join EmployeeDesignation as Ed 

on Lower(Rtrim(Ltrim(Ed.Designation))) = Lower(Rtrim(Ltrim(temptable.Designation)))

Where temptable.empid = EmployeeMasterData.empid  

and you not define DOB and department reference in EmployeeMasterData 

if i'm right then EmployeeMasterData have reference of both.  

Thursday, March 3, 2016 5:07 AM