What to use? JSON, ADO.NET, XML, WCF? RRS feed

• Question

• User-1898043097 posted

Hi,

I am want to build a new website in ASP.NET for visitors to add en retrieve data. The kind of data is text and files. The last week i read about several new technology's but i can't really pick the best way to develop this new site. Please can someone give me some advise?

Some requirements for the total solution:

- A website for inserting and retrieving visitors data.

- A mobile website variant of the above website.

- A native app on Android and Iphone for inserting / retrieving data.

For the native app i want to use Phonegap so build the pages in HTML/Javascript/CSS/Jquery.

My question is to connect to the database (SQL Server) and insert and retrieve data is in the best to do this with Ado.net and expose MCF services with the response in JSON format? 

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 7:43 AM

Answers

• User541108374 posted

Hi,

I would rather look into the new Web API which has json out of the box and makes use of REST calls. That in combination with MVC4 and the mobile capabilities introduced in there can go a very long way.

Grz, Kris.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, March 26, 2013 8:32 AM

All replies

• User541108374 posted

Hi,

I would rather look into the new Web API which has json out of the box and makes use of REST calls. That in combination with MVC4 and the mobile capabilities introduced in there can go a very long way.

Grz, Kris.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, March 26, 2013 8:32 AM
  • User-1898043097 posted

Hi Kris,

Thanks for the info. I didn't know about a new Web API that has also JSON output out of the box. I read that is is very essential that when you develop mobile variant of the application (native apps on Android/Iphone) to use the JSON format because of the low bandwith of mobile devices and in my case relative a lot of data should be retrieved. 

I will google for the new Web API and start reading right away ;-)

THANKS!

Greetings Mark

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 8:38 AM
  • User541108374 posted

Hi,

I will google for the new Web API and start reading right away ;-)

No need for Google. It's all here on this site already: http://www.asp.net/web-api.

I noticed there are more and more books coming out lately about the subject so you might want to check that out as well.

Grz, Kris.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 8:51 AM