none
How can I ignore or disable health check web requests? RRS feed

• Question

• I have an app service that exists solely to host a WebJob. The app service periodically receives a request for the root URL. The geo-location matches the Azure data centre that the service is hosted in, and I believe this is a "health check" request being conducted within the Azure data centre.

This is adding unwanted noise to my App Insights log. Is there an easy way to ignore these requests, or even prevent the requests from happening in the first place?

Wednesday, October 2, 2019 8:18 PM

Answers

• Thanks Jason for sharing additional information. 

Based on the scenario you have described its most likely that you have "Always On" feature enabled for your web app which is making a constant health check/ping every 5 minutes on a root site to keep the web app loaded even when there is no traffic. 

"Always on" is disabled by default, however its  required for continuous webjobs or for webjobs that are trigged using a CRON expression. 

Web App Configure General Settings

You can check out the option of optimizing the Azure App Service AlwaysOn, by redirecting the ping test to specific page rather than default root page so that it becomes easier in Application Insights to exclude that particular page in your reporting . Application Insights existing failure blades have options to exclude certain requests or have filters to simply this approach. 

Other option would be to disable the default ingestion to Application Insights  and configure your application with Application insights SDK and filter the telemetry which you want to send to Application Insights, this might need some bit of work to code the application to support this scenario. 

If none of the above product features are helping your scenario, you can always raise a feedback request with our team and based on community feedback and voting it gets prioritized accordingly. 

Hope this information helps, please revert back if you have any other queries. 

Friday, October 4, 2019 11:22 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Hi Jason,

Thanks for using Azure services. 

Only if you are using action rules you can refer here for additional details in suppressing those alerts. 

If that's not the case to better understand your scenario, can you please help clarify how is the health check being configured against your app service. Have you used any of the options available with in Application insights  or is it custom code with in your application which is making a health check on your service in periodic intervals ? 

Wednesday, October 2, 2019 11:45 PM
    Owner
  • I'm not using action rules or alerts.

I don't have any "tests" defined in App Insights either, but something is periodically running a "GET" request for the root URL of the app service. On average, it seems to be once every 5 minutes. The cloud role instance on every request is "RD0003FF6F8A35", I don't recognise this identifier, but I don't know whether that might be some clue as to the source of the requests?

Thursday, October 3, 2019 4:04 AM
  • Thanks Jason for sharing additional information. 

Based on the scenario you have described its most likely that you have "Always On" feature enabled for your web app which is making a constant health check/ping every 5 minutes on a root site to keep the web app loaded even when there is no traffic. 

"Always on" is disabled by default, however its  required for continuous webjobs or for webjobs that are trigged using a CRON expression. 

Web App Configure General Settings

You can check out the option of optimizing the Azure App Service AlwaysOn, by redirecting the ping test to specific page rather than default root page so that it becomes easier in Application Insights to exclude that particular page in your reporting . Application Insights existing failure blades have options to exclude certain requests or have filters to simply this approach. 

Other option would be to disable the default ingestion to Application Insights  and configure your application with Application insights SDK and filter the telemetry which you want to send to Application Insights, this might need some bit of work to code the application to support this scenario. 

If none of the above product features are helping your scenario, you can always raise a feedback request with our team and based on community feedback and voting it gets prioritized accordingly. 

Hope this information helps, please revert back if you have any other queries. 

Friday, October 4, 2019 11:22 PM
    Owner
  • Thankyou, yes, my app service is configured with "Always on", and the request logging I'm seeing makes sense.

In this instance, I've done as you've suggested and disabled the default ingestion to Application Insights, and am instead relying solely on the App Insights SDK within my WebJob to track the details I'm interested in.

Monday, October 7, 2019 10:09 PM