Moving On-Premise Sql Server to azure vm makes sql jobs execution take longer time RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, i have a on premise sql server which runs a job 24*7 to retrieve data from various data source. i am trying to move my on premise sql server to azure vm. the problem is that the job which takes about 6 minutes to execute on my on premise server takes about 189 mins(3 hrs) to execute via the azure vm. can you tell me the reason for this performance issue and also any tutorial for achieving my task.

Thanks In Advance.

Monday, October 27, 2014 6:48 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Have you verified the latency introduced by the VPN device and your on-premise Ethernet network?

If the job is taking longer due to network latency you should think about upgrading your network to Ethernet fabrics. Cloud computing places stringent demands on a classic Ethernet network like deterministic latency, lossless packet delivery and high bandwidth that the traditional or classic Ethernet cannot deliver due to its hierarchical architecture and due to the time it takes to process protocols.

There is nothing Azure can do about network latency on your network. You can learn more about this on the ANSI/TIA-942-A-1.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Thursday, November 13, 2014 1:23 PM

All replies

• Hello,

How many cores the Azure VM has assigned? What is the hardware configuration of the on promises server?

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Monday, October 27, 2014 1:28 PM
  • The on premise machine is 16 core with 32 GB Ram. A9 machine offers 16 core cpu but they being costly I am using 2 A7 vms to distribute the workload. 

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 12:46 PM
  • Hello,

Have seen any specific step on the job that is consuming more time to execute than expected? What that step does?

Is that job using data sources from the on-promises network? If that is true, have you examine the latency on the communications? Is your network based on the traditional Ethernet or based on Ethernet fabrics?

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 1:16 PM
  • Yeah I have a ETL job that runs 3 times a day and extract data from 3 or 4 data sources. this data source are present in my on-premise network. the connection is established via site-to-site connectivity using vpn device. the on premise network is traditional Ethernet based. Can there be any tuning from SQL or azure side to reduce time taken for job to execute.
    Thursday, November 13, 2014 4:34 AM
  • Hello,

Have you verified the latency introduced by the VPN device and your on-premise Ethernet network?

If the job is taking longer due to network latency you should think about upgrading your network to Ethernet fabrics. Cloud computing places stringent demands on a classic Ethernet network like deterministic latency, lossless packet delivery and high bandwidth that the traditional or classic Ethernet cannot deliver due to its hierarchical architecture and due to the time it takes to process protocols.

There is nothing Azure can do about network latency on your network. You can learn more about this on the ANSI/TIA-942-A-1.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Thursday, November 13, 2014 1:23 PM