none
SDLC Design Stage (My First Serious Project) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone. In an effort to further develop my programming skills in C# and .NET I have decided to start a new project. The application solution I want to develop has multiple elements, making this by far the most difficult application I have attempted to date. My main question is regarding the planning stage.

- I am NOT looking for Code, Links, etc...
    - I AM looking for advice regarding the planning stage, as well as techniques or protocols that will make my life easier.

Ok, so here's my goal at a high level:
    Every week I upload MP3s to a website which gets input into a database (where I have to manually update a table attribute). I expect to use an MP3 library of some sort for converting, an SFTP (though .NET doesn't support this so I think I will use perhaps a SCP, still researching), and some SQL code for updating the table depending on a portion of the filename. There is a lot to it and I'd rather focus (at least for now) on the high level CONCEPTUAL DESIGN PROCESS if you would please.

Thank you kindly for helping me to become a better developer and planner :)
    ~Matthew
    • Edited by Matthew Liberty Sunday, March 6, 2011 5:16 AM
    • Moved by Neddy Ren Thursday, March 10, 2011 6:44 AM (From:Visual C# General)
    Saturday, March 5, 2011 7:39 AM

All replies

• Argh... nobody wants to help me? I would sure appreciate a few tips on how to map out my project and things to consider. Thanks :)

Sunday, March 6, 2011 5:15 AM
  • Hi Matthew Liberty,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

I think the easiest way to upload or download the file is create a updateload/download webpage on your background managements applications. So, all the operations can be used with your  IE.

I think the SFTP or SCP are not the best way to resolve your issue. There are many ways to upload or download or fixed/convert files. In traditional, use upload control, TCP/UDP, socket to transmit files. And nowadays, WCF is a good way to transmit files between client and server. Do you think so? 

I suggest you create a WCF on your server, when you need to operate your files, use WCF to upload files, convert files, delete files...etc. After do these, excute a procedure to your database and update your data. For each operation, use transactions to commit it so that each operation should be valid and accurate.

If I don't get your issue, please let me know.

Best Regards

Neddy Ren [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011 3:54 AM
  • It was certainly helpful and I really appreciate it.

What I'm more looking for though is how to actually plan my code. How to design it so that it comes together rather smoothly as I develop it? I've never really PLANNED an app before because most of my projects have been small enough that I could just hack away until I got it to work well and without any bugs. Since I have never actually gone through the DESIGN phase of the SLDC, THAT is what I would mostly like help with if you don't mind.

I've heard many developers like to just write the structure of their code out on paper, which I'm attempting to do, but I'm afraid I might not know enough about this process and best practices. Perhaps there is a good article that would give me the gist of it? I don't really have time to read an entire book.

Anyway, thanks much. Looking forward to getting this figured out... how to plan and design my app that is :)

~Matthew

Tuesday, March 8, 2011 2:11 PM