none
Crash when run from external program RRS feed

• Question

• I have a program that runs fine in SB environment.  It runs fine when the .exe is run by Windows with a doubleclick.  It runs fine from {Start}{Run}.

But, when I run it from another program, it crashes after ShowMessage("IP",thislegis) ie DrawText(TA,MGY,"IP")

I added the ShowMessage as tracking to see where it is blowing up.

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks!

Dan

TL=100
      TA=TA+TL
      GraphicsWindow.BrushColor = "Cyan"
      If ThisLegIs=0 then
          GraphicsWindow.ShowMessage("IP",thislegis)
          GraphicsWindow.DrawText(TA,MGY,"IP")
      endif
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 9:55 PM

Answers

• Perhaps that accounts for some initialization errors or environment variable errors?
    That should not. *.exe are registred in Windows as executable files the same way PDF is registred as non-executable file but that trigger another program.
    Fremy - Developer in VB.NET, C# and JScript ... - Feel free to try my extension
    Monday, August 31, 2009 5:33 PM

All replies

• Could you give us more informations ?

From wich program start you the *.exe ?
    Are you sending data to the program ? Are you using special settings ?
    Friday, August 28, 2009 10:07 AM
  • It is run from within Paradox's language PAL .. the now-ancient DOS DBMS.  I use the exact same code there to launch other programs via their file types associations in Windows.

In addition, I tried running a .bat file from within the paradox code.  The .bat runs the .exe.  I can do {Start}{Run} and the .bat runs the .exe application fine.  The .exe runs fine from a shortcut.

It looks like the .exe opens but when then immediately crashes.

Dan
    Monday, August 31, 2009 3:53 PM
  • It is run from within Paradox's language PAL .. the now-ancient DOS DBMS.  I use the exact same code there to launch other programs via their file types associations in Windows.

In addition, I tried running a .bat file from within the paradox code.  The .bat runs the .exe.  I can do {Start}{Run} and the .bat runs the .exe application fine.  The .exe runs fine from a shortcut.

It looks like the .exe opens but when then immediately crashes.

Dan

Then the problem is the PAL program. Maybe this program runs in a sort compatibility mode that prevents from running a .NET Framwork program or fails to do it.
    Monday, August 31, 2009 4:14 PM
  • One thought...

When I run a "file type" from inside my other software, the "viewer" is an installed Windows application (.pdf or .doc etc).  But when I do the same function with an .exe created from SB, that program is not "installed" (registered) in the Window's sense of the word.

Perhaps that accounts for some initialization errors or environment variable errors?

Dan
    Monday, August 31, 2009 5:25 PM
  • Perhaps that accounts for some initialization errors or environment variable errors?
    That should not. *.exe are registred in Windows as executable files the same way PDF is registred as non-executable file but that trigger another program.
    Monday, August 31, 2009 5:33 PM