none
execute code in a context of date time that differs from system RRS feed

• Question

• Actually i need to do some trick in my .Net application on server to make it execute a certain important procedure in the context of time that differs from current (correct) system time.

The only way i see NOW is to change system time for a while, execute the procedure, and change date and time back =)

So may be there is more secure way for the whole system to handle it?

The platform for .Net Application

The server (Windows Server 2008 R2) is running SQL server 2008 R2 and SharePoint server 2010.

If there is no other solution except changing of a whole system date time,  i want to understand what potential problems it can cause in work environment.

Thursday, June 3, 2010 6:25 PM

Answers

• How are you changing the time, you can do it through program as well.

I am not sure if changing system time will trigger any security threat, unless there is a malicious code injected which ic ticking to be exploded on that particular time.

Moreover I think your application's vision is to serve customer base located in different time-zones and then execute the business logic accordingly.

If it doesn't clarify your query, please do provide some more details.

Vidya Vrat Agarwal. http://dotnetpassion.blogspot,com
    • Marked as answer by SamAgain Friday, June 11, 2010 8:10 AM
    Thursday, June 3, 2010 7:42 PM
  • I don't think any system services will have a trouble with changing dates.

Unless there are any utility or scheduled tasks, or services which are running or deployed on your machine and can perform some tasks when time is changed.

If you are sure that there is no such thing on the box where you are deploying this app, then you will be fine.

I would recommend you to do a risk-analysis with the help of your Server and admin administrator.

I believe there must not be an issue.

Saturday, June 5, 2010 3:43 AM

All replies

• How are you changing the time, you can do it through program as well.

I am not sure if changing system time will trigger any security threat, unless there is a malicious code injected which ic ticking to be exploded on that particular time.

Moreover I think your application's vision is to serve customer base located in different time-zones and then execute the business logic accordingly.

If it doesn't clarify your query, please do provide some more details.

Thursday, June 3, 2010 7:42 PM
  • No actually its not a "time zone" problem. its a "XPS document digital signature in the past" problem =) I need to "cheat system" an sign document as if were days ago for example.

while signing XpsDocument. SignDigitally Method takes system date to provide signature date. I could not find a way to provide other date but changing system date.

Changing system time is not actually security threat in my scenario, but i'm not sure how other services may will react on it, may be such "sudden" system date change may cause some serious system troubles - its a sharepoint server not user workstation.

Thursday, June 3, 2010 7:55 PM
  • I don't think any system services will have a trouble with changing dates.

Unless there are any utility or scheduled tasks, or services which are running or deployed on your machine and can perform some tasks when time is changed.

If you are sure that there is no such thing on the box where you are deploying this app, then you will be fine.

I would recommend you to do a risk-analysis with the help of your Server and admin administrator.

I believe there must not be an issue.

Saturday, June 5, 2010 3:43 AM