How do I make a VSIS application compile project on open? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a VSIS application, where I want to add code to force compilation on MSProj file on reopen.  Please let me know the flag on MSProj file that determines this.  I want to be able to edit that flag behind the scenes, so compilation  is forced everytime on VSIS opening the Project.

Thanks,

Pritesh

Thursday, September 5, 2013 6:52 PM

Answers

• This isn't a VS Isolated Shell specific issue per se, rather a generic project upgrade issue. If you are upgrading the project, you should probably touch (update the time/date stamp) on one of the files that your project output depends upon, so that the output will be regenerated on the subsequent build (instead of a no-op because MSBuild doesn't think the project has been modified).

As for building the project on load, I would not recommend that, as I suspect most users would prefer (and expect) a build to only occur when they actually ran the build command.

Sincerely,

Ed Dore

Monday, September 9, 2013 8:38 PM

All replies

• Hi Pritesh,

Since I am not familiar with the VSIS application,could you please provide more information about it?Is it created from Visual Studio Package?

By the way,can you clarify the type of the MSProj file in your description?

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best Regards,

Jane.

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Friday, September 6, 2013 10:05 AM
  • We have a Visual Studio Isolated Shell application created with custom project type.  We have specific Project templates that we use to create our Projects.

We are dealing with a situation where post upgrading our Project, we need to force user to Compile the Project again.  If the project is compiled before upgrade, it is not asking users to recompile.  I am sure it is a flag in MSProj file, just don't know which one.

Friday, September 6, 2013 6:49 PM
  • Hello,

I am trying to involve some experts to discuss this issue.

Thanks for your patience.

Have a good day.

Jane.

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, September 9, 2013 11:28 AM
  • This isn't a VS Isolated Shell specific issue per se, rather a generic project upgrade issue. If you are upgrading the project, you should probably touch (update the time/date stamp) on one of the files that your project output depends upon, so that the output will be regenerated on the subsequent build (instead of a no-op because MSBuild doesn't think the project has been modified).

As for building the project on load, I would not recommend that, as I suspect most users would prefer (and expect) a build to only occur when they actually ran the build command.

Sincerely,

Ed Dore

Monday, September 9, 2013 8:38 PM