none
Custom Form to Populate MS Project RRS feed

• Question

• I use MS Project in my role as a project manager. I am interested in putting together a form that will allow me and others to enter data that will automatically be entered into Project. It would also format Project and set up Timetables and Resources including Vendors. The Timeline would include such items as Engineering time, Lead time, Installation time, etc. I would like to write the code behind this form myself. (Creating the code would be half the fun of having this tool.) Is it possible to do such a thing? What programing language should I use to create this form? Java? C++? I used to know Basic and Cobol, but have not used them in many years.

Should I use MS Access to create a form that will then 'talk' to Project.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Not everyone involved in project here are fluent in Project, and this would make Project less intimidating for many.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Tim

Friday, December 25, 2015 3:32 PM

Answers

• Tim,

I'll give you my two cents, others may chime in with theirs.

You could set up the data in Access but I would suggest you use Excel as it is universal and user friendly. I would set up a pre-formatted spreadsheet for data entry by your co-workers. Then I would create a VBA macro, either based in Excel or in Project, to transfer the data from Excel to Project. Even though you could use VB (Visual Studio) or C, VBA is resident in Project and Office (i.e. Excel) and will be easier to code and run.

With a pre-formatted spreadsheet, you won't need a form, although you could create one if you want to challenge yourself further. Unless you've done extensive VBA development, I'd start with a simpler approach, (i.e. no form), and then go from there.

The first step of course is to sit down and map out the Project fields you need to capture. That will help you create the spreadsheet format, or database if you have your heart set on Access.

If you need some starter help with a macro the imports Excel data into Project, I can provide that.

John

Friday, December 25, 2015 4:23 PM

All replies

• Tim,

I'll give you my two cents, others may chime in with theirs.

You could set up the data in Access but I would suggest you use Excel as it is universal and user friendly. I would set up a pre-formatted spreadsheet for data entry by your co-workers. Then I would create a VBA macro, either based in Excel or in Project, to transfer the data from Excel to Project. Even though you could use VB (Visual Studio) or C, VBA is resident in Project and Office (i.e. Excel) and will be easier to code and run.

With a pre-formatted spreadsheet, you won't need a form, although you could create one if you want to challenge yourself further. Unless you've done extensive VBA development, I'd start with a simpler approach, (i.e. no form), and then go from there.

The first step of course is to sit down and map out the Project fields you need to capture. That will help you create the spreadsheet format, or database if you have your heart set on Access.

If you need some starter help with a macro the imports Excel data into Project, I can provide that.

John

Friday, December 25, 2015 4:23 PM
  • John,

Thank you so much for the help. Since I have not done anything like this, your advise will send me off in the right direction to get underway.

And also thanks for the offer for starter help with a macro. I will see how I can do on my own, but if I get stuck I may ask for some suggestions.

Thanks,

Tim

Saturday, December 26, 2015 3:07 AM
  • Tim,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Saturday, December 26, 2015 8:10 PM