Suggestions for an all-in-one company framework RRS feed

• Question

• I'm currently faced with the challenge of architecting one major new project, all web based - it will front-end a large archive of videos and other media (images, sound etc.) for intranet use only

I have another large project on the horizon, for a different business unit, that will require a web based Content Management System.

Project content aside, I think that everyone in the company should access the services that they require through one web interface. i.e. Based on role you should see various tabs etc that let you get to the interfaces you need.

What i'm wondering constantly is, is this all-in-one website going to be doomed to failure? I obviously want to use the latest technology like MVC 3 and Entity Framework - is it going to be possible to model it on top of this?

Finally I wonder how i'm going to keep the code segregated, I imagine i'd like one business unit's logic in one project (or even solution??) and one in another?

Should I just be making seperate websites, at different locations on the intranet but with shared code? It doesn't seem as tidy - i love this idea of anyone in the business being able to login to 'the system' and seeing all the right options for them based on the permissions they're assigned in AD (groups etc.)

Has anyone ever attempted anything like this? I'd love to hear about your experiences or from anyone who'd like to offer some sage advice!

Saturday, October 1, 2011 10:18 PM