Deploying Rules Issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

we have some odd behaviour when working with rules. The process we want to complete is 
    1. creating a new version of a policy 
    2. publishing this version
    3. deploying it! 
    Straight forward, isn't it? But here comes the problem: If I log on to the BiztalkRulesEngineDb I can do step 1 and 2 but not 3 I get an error messaeg telling me that there is a mismacth between the deployment location I want to use and how it was configured. What's even more strange is that I see all previous versions as "Published" in the Business Rules Cmposer. But they are deployed. Because .. if my colleague logs on, he sees them all as deployed and he is able to deploy the new version. He uses exactly the same user / pwd to connect to the exactly same BiztalkRulesEngineDb as I do. 

We assume that it might be something in my user profile which is missing! Am I correct? Any ideas? 

Thank you for your time!

Cheers

Peter
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 10:49 PM

All replies

• Do you have the exact error message you get?
    Thiago Almeida - http://connectedthoughts.wordpress.com
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 1:04 AM
    Answerer
  • Thiago, thank you for your reply. 

Yes, the error message is: 

"The database "192.168.1.1:BizTalkRuleEngineDb" associated with the deployment driver does not match the database ":" specified during product configuration" 

I did google this and found some suggestions. But I think the problem is rather in the access rights or something! Leaving the error aside, why does my colleague see the rules in status "Deployed" and I see them in status "Published"? And why can he deploy the rules and I am not? He logs on in exactly the same way as I do, using IP address amd same userid/pwd. But he can deploy the rules and sees earlier versions as "Deployed" and I can't and see them as "Published".

I hope this helps!

Cheers

Peter
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 3:04 AM
  • Usually, similar error happens if there's not complete (runtime only) installation or broken BizTalk server configuration (as result of subsequent installations). You may need to re-install BizTalk and components, deleting and recreating rule engine db.

Is your colleague connecting to the rule engine store from the different machine? The fact that you see different status suggests access to different databases.
    http://geekswithblogs.net/paulp/
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 8:38 PM
    Answerer
  • Thank you Paul. Unfortunately we work on the same machine via RDC! The only thing which is really different is the logged on user. I.e. he logs on via RDC with his user id and I log on with mine. We then open the BTBusiness Rules Composer and log on to the BiztalkRulesEngineDb using the same database with the same credentials in the SQL Logon. 

It becomes more and more a mystery!

Cheers

Peter
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 10:30 PM
  • Hi Peter,

After logging in to the server, open Visual Studio. From the View menu select Server Explorer. Expand Servers, expand the local server. Right click on Management Classes and select "Add Classes" and select root\MicrosoftBizTalkServer and add all classes in the namespace. Click ok to close the Add Classes window. Back in Server Explorer, expand MSBTS_GroupSetting. There should be one object there saying BizTalkMgmtDb,<SERVERNAME>. Right click on that object and select Properties. In the properties pane, check that RuleEngineDBName and RuleEngineDBServerName are correct (ideally with a server name and not IP address).
    If visual studio is not installed you might need to use WMI Administrative Tools or write a custom .NET app to query and update that object.

Friday, May 8, 2009 12:21 AM
    Answerer
  • Log in under each account and check the value of the following registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\BusinessRules\3.0\RuleComposer

Make sure values RuleStoreDatabase, RuleStoreServer are the same.

Also verify they correspond to the database indicated in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\BusinessRules\3.0
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 3:11 PM
    Answerer
  • Usually, similar error happens if there's not complete (runtime only) installation or broken BizTalk server configuration (as result of subsequent installations). You may need to re-install BizTalk and components, deleting and recreating rule engine db.

Is your colleague connecting to the rule engine store from the different machine? The fact that you see different status suggests access to different databases.

Hi Paul,

thank you for your reply! One thing I forgot to mention is, this is the production server of a government institution. So as you can imagine the thing is pretty locked down.

My colleague is connecting to the exact same rule engine store, the exact same database with the exact same SQL database user.

Cheers

Peter
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 11:08 PM
  • Hi Peter,

After logging in to the server, open Visual Studio. From the View menu select Server Explorer. Expand Servers, expand the local server. Right click on Management Classes and select "Add Classes" and select root\MicrosoftBizTalkServer and add all classes in the namespace. Click ok to close the Add Classes window. Back in Server Explorer, expand MSBTS_GroupSetting. There should be one object there saying BizTalkMgmtDb,<SERVERNAME>. Right click on that object and select Properties. In the properties pane, check that RuleEngineDBName and RuleEngineDBServerName are correct (ideally with a server name and not IP address).
    If visual studio is not installed you might need to use WMI Administrative Tools  or write a custom .NET app to query and update that object.

Hi Thiago,

I forgot to mention, this is a production server in a govt. institution. No VS no way to connect using my local server Explorer.

Cheers

Peter
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 11:09 PM
  • So you are running the rules engine composer/biztalk admin console from your own machine and connecting to a production server? Try the VS or WMI Administrative Tool on your local machine and change that setting I mentioned before to be the production server and database.
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 10:09 PM
    Answerer
  • This thing happens if you are using the biztalk specific deployment driver and there is a mismatch between BRE configuration in the group ( BizTalkMgmtDb.adm_Group.RuleEngineDbServerName, BizTalkMgmtDb.adm_Group.RuleEngineDBName ) and the registry settings on the machine

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\BusinessRules\3.0\DatabaseName and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\BusinessRules\3.0\DatabaseServer

Make sure both of these settings match.
    Thank You RaghuRam Nadiminti Software Development Engineer BizTalk Team
    Friday, May 29, 2009 11:12 AM

• Hi Paul,

thank you for your reply! One thing I forgot to mention is, this is the production server of a government institution. So as you can imagine the thing is pretty locked down.

My colleague is connecting to the exact same rule engine store, the exact same database with the exact same SQL database user.

Cheers

Peter
    Did my suggestion to check registry settings above help? I'm curious what it can be if not.

Monday, June 1, 2009 7:40 PM
    Answerer
  • This thing happens if you are using the biztalk specific deployment driver and there is a mismatch between BRE configuration in the group ( BizTalkMgmtDb.adm_Group.RuleEngineDbServerName, BizTalkMgmtDb.adm_Group.RuleEngineDBName ) and the registry settings on the machine

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\BusinessRules\3.0\DatabaseName and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\BusinessRules\3.0\DatabaseServer

Make sure both of these settings match.
    Thank You RaghuRam Nadiminti Software Development Engineer BizTalk Team
    Thank you but both of these settings do match! 

Cheers

Peter
    Friday, June 5, 2009 1:24 AM

• Hi Paul,

Cheers

Peter
    Did my suggestion to check registry settings above help? I'm curious what it can be if not.

Sorry Paul, settings are the same and point to teh correct servers. Any ideas? 

Hey you have been in New Zelaand and gave us BT training, haven't you ? I was with ASB Bank then! Ages ago! You remember? Ahh the fun times! 

Cheers

Peter
    Friday, June 5, 2009 2:18 AM