none
SharePoint Document Library Search Not Able to Search Some Files RRS feed

• Question

• We have 4 pdf files store in standard document library.  When we perform search for the last 5 number of file name -> 2 files can be found

05210, 05226

2 files can't be found.

05118, 05119.

See screen below

perform search file 05210 was found

other 05118 can't be found

I checked crawled history and it was crawled sucessfully

What could be the causes why other 2 files 05118, 05119 can't be search and how to resolve?

Thanks

Tee Nguyen

• Edited by Mr. T1 Wednesday, January 22, 2020 4:23 PM
    Wednesday, January 22, 2020 6:03 AM

All replies

• Please help.

Thanks

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 4:23 PM
  • Hi Tee Nguyen,

You could troubleshooting this issue according to the following steps:

1. I notice that you crawled files more than ten days ago, I suggest you do a new crawl, then check crawled history whether the files are crawled successfully. After that, you could search the files again in the document library to see if they can be searchable.

2. Try to search the full file name, compare the results.

3. Make sure all files in the library are checked in, published and approved.

4. Search files in the site search and search center, compare the results.

Best regards,

Emily Du

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Thursday, January 23, 2020 11:02 AM
  • Thanks Emily, we run the full crawl and had similar result. Here is my findings per your recommendations

2. Try to search the full file name, compare the results.

For local document library search, 2 out of 4 files was able to search full name or last five number.

351035-DCI-ALG-LTR-19-C231-4-05226
    351035-DCI-ALG-LTR-19-C231-4-05210

One file was able to search full name but not partial last file number
    351035-DCI-ALG-LTR-19-C231-4-05119

One file was not able to search either full name or partial last file number
    351035-DCI-ALG-LTR-19-C231-4-05118-

3. Make sure all files in the library are checked in, published and approved.

All files we searched were check-in

4. Search files in the site search and search center, compare the results.

All files was able to find in search center either full file name or partial.

Questions:

1. For in document library search, it does not use search center rather than using KQL search from database, is that correct?

2. What else could caused some files can't search either full or partial file name as I mentioned in 2?

Any other recommendations to resolve the issue?

Thanks

Tee

• Edited by Mr. T1 Thursday, January 23, 2020 5:34 PM
    Thursday, January 23, 2020 5:33 PM
  • Hi Tee Nguyen,

For your first question, document library search use KQL search in the crawl stored database.

For your second question, you could try to search *05119 and *05118, compare the result.

Best regards,

Emily Du

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, January 24, 2020 9:30 AM
  • Thanks Emily, I did try *05119 and *05118, but still return no result? What should I do now?

Friday, January 24, 2020 5:11 PM
  • Please help.

Thanks

Sunday, January 26, 2020 7:16 AM
  • Hi Tee Nguyen,

I couldn't reproduce your issue if all files have been crawled in crawl log.

Please create a new library and upload these documents, do a crawl and check the result.

Best regards,

Julie

Monday, January 27, 2020 10:20 AM
  • hello, the best tool for troubleshooting search-related issues is Sharepoint Search Query Tool. It allows to send requests to Search API based on provided KQL and request settings. First thing I would try is to check/uncheck "Trim duplicates" request setting to see will missing files appear in results after that.

Blog - http://sadomovalex.blogspot.com
    Dynamic CAML queries via C# - https://github.com/sadomovalex/camlex

Monday, January 27, 2020 1:53 PM
  • Thanks, Here is what I did.

1. Create brand new document library, uploaded 4 files and able to search all of them.

2. When I enter the following text in title for 2 out of 4 document

3. Re-index, and search for files with title that had text, 05118, 05119, search returned no result

and for files with no text in title, search returned result

What's odd was when I renamed the 2 issue files 05118, 05119 to Tam, Kristie

I was able to search both files even there is text in title

what could be wrong why when I entered text in tile field, 2 files were not able to search and if I rename then, then I were able to search them?

Thanks

Tuesday, January 28, 2020 5:59 AM
  • Hi Tee Nguyen,

I couldn't reproduce your issue when name and title filed both store information.

As a workaround, do not store information in the title field, create a new column to store information originally stored in the title field.

Best regards,

Emily Du

Friday, January 31, 2020 9:54 AM
  • Hi Tee Nguyen,

I'm checking how the things are going on about this issue. Whether the post helps you?

You can mark the post as answer if it helps.

Best regards,

Emily Du

Wednesday, February 5, 2020 1:10 AM
  • Hi Tee Nguyen,

Is there any progress on this issue?

If you find any replies helpful to you, please remember to mark them as answers.

It will help others who meet the similar question in this forum.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Emily Du

Saturday, February 8, 2020 8:34 AM
  • Thanks Emily, there is no progress.  We are asking user to test in QA env to see if they have similar issue or not.  I did test in different environment and don't have this issue.  I will update for root cause if we are able to find it.

Thanks

Tuesday, February 11, 2020 9:50 PM