To C# MVPs: how to be a C# MVP? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi dear C# MVP,
    Please help me, what i must do now?
    I Signed Up to this forum one month ago.
    I nominated myself as an C# MVP also one month ago.
    I love this forum and i wish to be an C# MVP. it is my interest so i begun from 0 point to current 2968 points during one month.
    But i didn't recieve any message from MVP Global Administrator except following:
    Hello,
    Thank you for your mail. We have forwarded your nomination request onto the appropriate party handling the region of Iran to review. MVPs are awarded on a quarterly basis and will be contacted if awarded.
    Best Regards,
    MVP Global Administrator
    mvpga@microsoft.com

-----Original Message----- 
    Sent: 12/3/2009 05:53:50 AM
    To: <mvpga@microsoft.com>
    Subject: Nominating an MVP

Hi MSFT,
    Name: Yasser Zamani
    E-mail address: yasser.zamani@live.com
    Native language: Persian (Farsi)
    Area of expertise: Developer Tools/Visual C#
    Online/offline community activities: MSDN Forums
    Yous Truly,
    Yasser Zamani

With best regards, Yasser Zamani
    Monday, January 4, 2010 4:05 PM

Answers

• I believe it's quarterly right now.  Jan/Apr/Jul/Oct. 

My MVP award came after a couple of years of heavy contribution on the forums.  "Heavy" as in "rabid-dog heavy".  I shot up to a top-ten contributor after about a year, which may or may not still be in effect (the "answers" site has heavily skewed the top-ten list on the forums recently, as they simply get more questions). 

Hans Passant (nobugz), who hasn't been around for the past couple of months, achieved and maintained his MVP status with nothing but forums contributions, so it's not unheard of, but he was most certainly an exception to the rule when it came to pure volume and quality of contributions. 

My advice: you're going to have to honestly enjoy answering questions and being a helpful contributor in the community before you'll get your MVP award.  If answering questions is the "means to an end" with the MVP award, you'll likely burn out once you get the award, with the "what's next" syndrome. 

Have fun, be nice, and try to explain your answers as clearly and thoroughly as you possibly can.  If you're lucky, you might just get nominated... and when you least expect it.
    Coding Light - Illuminated Ideas and Algorithms in Software
    Coding Light WikiLinkedInForumsBrowser
    Monday, January 4, 2010 6:05 PM
  • from the mvp site 

Potential MVPs are nominated by other technical community members, current and former MVPs, and Microsoft personnel who have noted their leadership and their willingness and ability to help others make the most of their Microsoft technology.

To receive the Microsoft MVP Award, MVP nominees undergo a rigorous review process. A panel that includes members of the MVP team and Microsoft product groups evaluates each nominee's technical expertise and voluntary community contributions for the past 12 months. The panel considers the quality, quantity, and level of impact of the MVP nominee's contributions. Active MVPs receive the same level of scrutiny as other new candidates each year.

I put the most interesting points in bold for you, so expecting to be an MVP withing a month is kind of an unrealstic expectation, if you browse though the top 100 users on these forums there's tons of people with 10.000+ points that aren't mvp's. I personally think if you are here to help people out you have a higher chance of being picked as an mvp as just to be here to gain your mvp status.

Monday, January 4, 2010 4:51 PM
  • Thanks Ray M for your attention.
    I am not here just to gain my mvp status. i enjoy this forum.
    I read MVP site carefuly but the MVP program isn't clear for me...
    Do they check me every 12 months?
    How i should request an MVP to nominate me?

You don't request that someone nominate you.

If you do enough quality work, then you will be noticed....and perhaps nominated.
    Just answering questions on the forums is not sufficient grounds to be nominated in my opinion.

Those who are MVPs have written books, have contributed to the MSDN library, have written significant and popular software for the public domain, have their own web sites on programming, and only a few out of the whole crew have answered a few questions on these forums on any type of daily basis.

Mark the best replies as answers. "Fooling computers since 1971."
    Monday, January 4, 2010 5:49 PM
  • Yes, you are right all
    But from http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/gp/mvpbecoming: "The MVP Award recognizes exceptional technical community leaders from around the world who voluntarily share their deep, real-world knowledge about Microsoft technologies with others."

And i do or at least try to do.
    Should i do something else which isn't mentioned in that web-site?

Yes u should do something:

Wait till u get the award....

Just Be Humble Malange!
    Monday, January 4, 2010 6:16 PM
  • Start a blog, write some books, and post.   You have to prove you ahve the deep, real-world knowledge before you are going to get the reward.

Tom Shelton
    Monday, January 4, 2010 6:19 PM
  • Nationality, may play a role - only in the sense that they may want more mvp's in a given region.  As far as politics - I don't think that really plays into the decision.  Of course, not many of us really talk that much about politics on a tech forum :)
    Tom Shelton
    Monday, January 4, 2010 7:14 PM
  • It may not come - try to not get discouraged. BTW, I think it's also in January and in July.
    Premature optimization is the root of all evil in programming. (c) by Donald Knuth

Naomi Nosonovsky, Sr. Programmer-Analyst

My blog
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 2:27 AM
  • MVP status is awarded once in 3 months and contribution over last 1 years is taken into consideration. So you much continue to contribute and hopefully you will be nominated in the next quarter which would be on April 01.
    Gaurav Khanna Visual Basic MVP
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 8:23 AM

All replies

• from the mvp site 

Potential MVPs are nominated by other technical community members, current and former MVPs, and Microsoft personnel who have noted their leadership and their willingness and ability to help others make the most of their Microsoft technology.

To receive the Microsoft MVP Award, MVP nominees undergo a rigorous review process. A panel that includes members of the MVP team and Microsoft product groups evaluates each nominee's technical expertise and voluntary community contributions for the past 12 months. The panel considers the quality, quantity, and level of impact of the MVP nominee's contributions. Active MVPs receive the same level of scrutiny as other new candidates each year.

I put the most interesting points in bold for you, so expecting to be an MVP withing a month is kind of an unrealstic expectation, if you browse though the top 100 users on these forums there's tons of people with 10.000+ points that aren't mvp's. I personally think if you are here to help people out you have a higher chance of being picked as an mvp as just to be here to gain your mvp status.

Monday, January 4, 2010 4:51 PM
    Monday, January 4, 2010 5:42 PM

You don't request that someone nominate you.

If you do enough quality work, then you will be noticed....and perhaps nominated.
    Just answering questions on the forums is not sufficient grounds to be nominated in my opinion.

Those who are MVPs have written books, have contributed to the MSDN library, have written significant and popular software for the public domain, have their own web sites on programming, and only a few out of the whole crew have answered a few questions on these forums on any type of daily basis.

Mark the best replies as answers. "Fooling computers since 1971."
    Monday, January 4, 2010 5:49 PM
  • You don't, the idea is other people notice your involvement in the community and the nominate you. Its not that much different from the oscars. A moviestar doesn't go 'hey how do i go about getting one of them oscars?' but they make a good movie give a good performance and if they are lucky they might be nominated for an award an if they are even luckier they might even win. 
    Monday, January 4, 2010 5:53 PM
  • MVP's used to be picked two times a year - april and october.  I believe they may have changed that since, to yearly.

I was an MVP for 3 years, and believe me you won't be picked after only a month.  I participated in several forums for several years before I was nominated. 

My advice is, don't try to hard.  Answer questions, be polite, and helpful and it may come.  Or it may not.

Tom Shelton
    Monday, January 4, 2010 5:58 PM
    why do u want to be MVP?

Because u love the forum? because you like the idea of being MVP? The title is nice......

whom does not the forum? 

Just Be Humble Malange!
    Monday, January 4, 2010 6:04 PM
  • I believe it's quarterly right now.  Jan/Apr/Jul/Oct. 

My MVP award came after a couple of years of heavy contribution on the forums.  "Heavy" as in "rabid-dog heavy".  I shot up to a top-ten contributor after about a year, which may or may not still be in effect (the "answers" site has heavily skewed the top-ten list on the forums recently, as they simply get more questions). 

Hans Passant (nobugz), who hasn't been around for the past couple of months, achieved and maintained his MVP status with nothing but forums contributions, so it's not unheard of, but he was most certainly an exception to the rule when it came to pure volume and quality of contributions. 

My advice: you're going to have to honestly enjoy answering questions and being a helpful contributor in the community before you'll get your MVP award.  If answering questions is the "means to an end" with the MVP award, you'll likely burn out once you get the award, with the "what's next" syndrome. 

Have fun, be nice, and try to explain your answers as clearly and thoroughly as you possibly can.  If you're lucky, you might just get nominated... and when you least expect it.
    Coding Light - Illuminated Ideas and Algorithms in Software
    Coding Light WikiLinkedInForumsBrowser
    Monday, January 4, 2010 6:05 PM
  • My only contribution was forums.  Though, on the nntp side.  Started on Devx and the comp.os.lang.* groups.  Moved to the ms groups, and after that it took a couple of years.  The main thing is you have to post a lot if forums are your only contribution - and to be honest, I didn't have time for it anymore and still don't.  So, I don't expect I'll ever get mine back :)  But, like you say answering questions should be the end it's self not the means to an end.

I answer questions to help noobs grow a bit, and to be honest, it's still a good learning experience for myself.

EDIT: Oh, and thinking about it - the picks were 4 times a year.  Just as now.  I guess that hasn't changed.

Tom Shelton
    Monday, January 4, 2010 6:11 PM
  • Yes, you are right all
    But from http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/gp/mvpbecoming: "The MVP Award recognizes exceptional technical community leaders from around the world who voluntarily share their deep, real-world knowledge about Microsoft technologies with others."

Monday, January 4, 2010 6:14 PM
  • Yes, you are right all

Yes u should do something:

Wait till u get the award....

Just Be Humble Malange!
    Monday, January 4, 2010 6:16 PM
  • Start a blog, write some books, and post.   You have to prove you ahve the deep, real-world knowledge before you are going to get the reward.

Tom Shelton

Tom Shelton
    how many books?
    Just Be Humble Malange!
  • And i do or at least try to do.

Like david said he spend years before he got his, the fact that you are 'complaining' you haven't recieved yours after a single month will more likely work against you obtaining what you desire most, but how about this, participate in the community share your knowledge and if you still haven't got your mvp award in 4-5 years open up another thread to see whats up?
    Monday, January 4, 2010 6:25 PM
  • how many books?

As many as you can :)   It's not 100% necessary.  I never did.  I only ever posted in forums - but, if the OP really wants and MVP, it can't hurt.

Tom Shelton
    Monday, January 4, 2010 6:27 PM
  • Thanks all for your attentions.
    Monday, January 4, 2010 7:00 PM
  • Sorry, last question:
    Is my nationality or political issues effective in getting/not getting it? if yes, how?
    Monday, January 4, 2010 7:09 PM
  • Nationality, may play a role - only in the sense that they may want more mvp's in a given region.  As far as politics - I don't think that really plays into the decision.  Of course, not many of us really talk that much about politics on a tech forum :)
    Tom Shelton
    Monday, January 4, 2010 7:14 PM
  • It's kinda like fight club...the first rule is not to ask about how to be an MVP.
    Monday, January 4, 2010 7:58 PM
  • So i lose the fight ;-]
    Monday, January 4, 2010 8:03 PM
  • Nah...  In 5 years, no one will remember this post :)

Tom Shelton
    Monday, January 4, 2010 8:04 PM
  • Even..., In 5 years, maybe i will be with christ in heaven's C# forums.;]
    Monday, January 4, 2010 8:11 PM
  • It may not come - try to not get discouraged. BTW, I think it's also in January and in July.
    Premature optimization is the root of all evil in programming. (c) by Donald Knuth

Naomi Nosonovsky, Sr. Programmer-Analyst

My blog
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 2:27 AM
  • Thanks Naom. i will continue my effort.
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 6:36 AM
  • MVP status is awarded once in 3 months and contribution over last 1 years is taken into consideration. So you much continue to contribute and hopefully you will be nominated in the next quarter which would be on April 01.
    Gaurav Khanna Visual Basic MVP
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 8:23 AM
  • Thanks Khanna Gaurav.
    Great! 26 April is my birthdate. hope MVP award would be my birthdate's gift. ;)
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 8:40 AM