none
Calls to REST Services intermittently failing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have an application that uses the Bing Maps WPF control as well as REST Services. This application is used by several clients across the US. Recently 2 clients have reported intermittent instances where the mileages calculated via the REST Services are appearing as 0. This tells me that the services are failing somewhere. If the users restart the application, then the services start computing the mileages successfully again.

Each client is using their own Basic Key. I have not been able to reproduce the problem yet on my own.

The URL I'm using is:

http://dev.virtualearth.net/REST/v1/Routes/Driving

Can anyone provide some insight into what the problem might be?

Thanks,

LB

Wednesday, March 7, 2018 5:03 PM

Answers

• Are you using a basic key? Is the user keeping the map open for an extended period of time? If so, then the map session is likely expiring. 

Is this a publicly available app? If not, note that private windows apps have a limit of 125,000 transactions a year. If your app exceeds this limit, you will need a license. 

[Blog] [twitter] [LinkedIn]

• Proposed as answer by Ricky_Brundritt Wednesday, March 7, 2018 5:18 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by walrus77 Wednesday, March 7, 2018 6:24 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Ricky_Brundritt Wednesday, March 7, 2018 7:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ricky_Brundritt Friday, April 6, 2018 1:00 AM
    Wednesday, March 7, 2018 5:18 PM
  • Discussion taken offline to investigate further.

Wednesday, March 7, 2018 7:18 PM

All replies

• Are you using a basic key? Is the user keeping the map open for an extended period of time? If so, then the map session is likely expiring. 

Is this a publicly available app? If not, note that private windows apps have a limit of 125,000 transactions a year. If your app exceeds this limit, you will need a license. 

• Proposed as answer by Ricky_Brundritt Wednesday, March 7, 2018 5:18 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by walrus77 Wednesday, March 7, 2018 6:24 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Ricky_Brundritt Wednesday, March 7, 2018 7:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ricky_Brundritt Friday, April 6, 2018 1:00 AM
    Wednesday, March 7, 2018 5:18 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. See my responses below:

Are you using a basic key? Yes... If I provided you with the keys for the two clients experiencing the problem, would you be able to tell me if they are exceeding the 125,000 transaction-per-year limit?

Is the user keeping the map open for an extended period of time? If so, then the map session is likely expiring.  They might be keeping the map open for a long time, but can you let me know specifically how long an "extended period of time is"? Also, is this something an error response from the service would inform me of?

Is this a publicly available app? If not, note that private windows apps have a limit of 125,000 transactions a year. If your app exceeds this limit, you will need a license. See response above. I don't know if this is the cause of the problem, but if you can let me know the clients' transaction usage so far, it would help me tell whether this is related to the problem.

Two other observations are that 1) the problem just started recently (within the past several weeks), and 2) some users are encountering the error only 90 minutes after restarting the application. Based on this, is there anything else that can be done to diagnose the root causes of this problem?

Wednesday, March 7, 2018 5:36 PM
  • Discussion taken offline to investigate further.

Wednesday, March 7, 2018 7:18 PM