none
Good books on VSTO RRS feed

• General discussion

• I want a good book on developing Office apps and add-ins for Excel, Word etc using Visual Studio 2013.

Many of the books that address this area are rather dated (2005 etc) and I was wondering if there are any newer books that use VS 2013, Office 2010/Office 2013 for their examples and samples?

Thanks,

Cap'n

Saturday, March 14, 2015 7:34 PM

All replies

• Hello Captain,

There is no books for Office Apps. They are young ;) You can find all the required information in MSDN. See Build apps for Office .

> Many of the books that address this area are rather dated (2005 etc) and I was wondering if there are any newer books that use VS 2013, Office 2010/Office 2013 for their examples and samples?

You are right, there were no recent books for VSTO. The fact is that there was no so many changes since that time. I'd recommend using the MSDN library as a source, see Create Add-ins and Customizations for Office by using Visual Studio . It provides all the required information.

In general, you have to know the .net framework to develop a VSTO based add-in. So, I'd suggest reading a good book on C#/VB.NET or .Net framework related technologies first.

Saturday, March 14, 2015 7:44 PM
  • Hi Eugene,

I know the .Net framework very well and C# almost inside out. What I wanted was a decent book that goes chapter by chapter showing how to develop increasingly sophisticated add-ons for (say) Excel.

Such a book would cover the Excel object model, the Excel GUI and so on - sure MSDN may serve as a reference but its not a great way to learn something - that's my experience anyway.

Perhaps an older book will have to do I guess, like: Visual Studio Tools for Office 2007

Cap'n

Saturday, March 14, 2015 8:30 PM
  • I don't think it covers Excel in depth. But VSTO is described in depth. So, it is a great source of knowledge. You will not find more recent books on VSTO.
    Sunday, March 15, 2015 4:02 AM