none
username to configure azure Biztalk 2016 VM RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am new to Biztalk and IT world.

I have got biztalk 2016 VM machine, but now I need to configure Biztalk .

But then When I choose basic configuration its asking for username and password under which biztalk services will run.

Do I need to create the user for this?(how to create it)

should that user be a member of Biztalk server Administrators group. But when I checked I couldnt find any such group in Computer Management, I followed below link:

Add User

This VM is created just for practice and explore new features of Biztalk 2016.

Please correct me if I am wrong as I have no idea how to deal with it.

Your help is appreciated.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful , Propose As Answer , and/or Mark As Answer

Monday, September 4, 2017 12:04 PM

All replies

• Hi,

No need to create user it automatically creates local group.

You can easily get all the information related to configure BizTalk on Azure VM with Basic / custom configuration by below Microsoft article.

Configure using BizTalk Configuration | Azure Virtual Machine

If this post is helpful, please vote as helpful or marked as answer.

Tuesday, September 5, 2017 4:50 AM
  • I assume you are doing single box installation?? meaning  sql and bts on same box...

In that case you can simply use the user with which you signed in on the vm, if you want it to be ge neric, create a local user and then configure biztalk with it.

you do not need to create any groups related to Biztalk, while configuring the Biztalk wizard takes care of the group creation.

In case you are using the Multi server environment, then you need active directory user and group. You will have to create the AD groups before hand and then configure Biztalk.

Mandar Dharmadhikari

Tuesday, September 5, 2017 5:30 AM
  • Thank you Mandar for your help,

I created user named admBiztalk with Password never expires.

But when I am trying to connect to local DB using SSMS with Windows Authentication.

I cant login in :-(

What could be the reason?

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful , Propose As Answer , and/or Mark As Answer

Tuesday, September 5, 2017 7:20 AM
  • If you are using the new account, you need to configure MSSQL to allow the account to authenticate and have access to MSSQL

The by far easiest approach is to use the login name in biztalk configuration from when you created the VM server
    This user has administrative access to all needed ressources

For a development boz it really doesn't matter
    On the local laptop/PC and on Azure Trail/Development servers I am using initial user account for everything

As mentioned multiple server setup is a different ball game

hth  /Peter

Tuesday, September 5, 2017 9:23 AM
  • Thanks Peter,

Actually VM is created by my lead and then he granted me the necessary access to the server  to play around with Biztalk 2016.

But is it possible that he dint provide me the access to SSMS?

when I checked my domain user name it is a member of SSO Administrators.

Tuesday, September 5, 2017 10:22 AM
  • Please talk with your your colleague

You need to be member of the local administrator group (for deployment/access to GAC) and you need have  administrator access to the local MSSQL

NB! In production enviroment the access rights should be restricted compared to current playground

/Peter

Tuesday, September 5, 2017 10:41 AM
  • Hi harc,

What you need to do is:

1) IF you have used the user with c=which you have logged onto to configure Biztalk, then make sure that the user has rights to log on to the sql server (Which I doubt it doesnot have)

2) Make sure that what ever user you use, you should have the db creation rights to create the db while configuring Biztalk.

Ask your lead, to grant whatever user you plan to use the necessary rights.

Mandar Dharmadhikari

Wednesday, September 6, 2017 4:11 AM
  • Please note: On a development box you need to run Visual Studio as Administrator (elevated rights) to be able to deploy directly to BizTalk and add assemblies/artifiacs to the Global Assembly Cache (GAC)

/Peter

Wednesday, September 6, 2017 6:05 AM
  • 1) IF you have used the user with c=which you have logged onto to configure Biztalk, then make sure that the user has rights to log on to the sql server (Which I doubt it doesnot have)

I have created another local user on VM with Password never expires to configure the Biztalk.

configuration was successful , so I think so user has the DB creation rights.(corrrect me if I am wrong)

But then how to check if user has right to log on to sql server.

Wednesday, September 6, 2017 7:36 AM
  • Hi,

How are you trying to log into the sql server??

Mandar Dharmadhikari

Wednesday, September 6, 2017 7:51 AM
  • using windows authentication.

Wednesday, September 6, 2017 7:52 AM
  • If you can open the Biztalk Administration Console and manage the system you have sufficient rights for Biztalk Administration
    QD test

Also check if the user account is added to the needed local BizTalk Groups

Reference
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa577661.aspx

/Peter

Wednesday, September 6, 2017 7:56 AM
  • If you can open the Biztalk Administration Console and manage the system you have sufficient rights for Biztalk Administration
    QD test

Also check if the user account is added to the needed local BizTalk Groups

Reference
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa577661.aspx

/Peter

Yes, I can open biztalk admin console and create artifacts.

actually I did basic configuration so needed Biztalk group  must be created automatically and must have added user to that group(correct me if I am wrong) 

Wednesday, September 6, 2017 8:07 AM
  • (..) so needed Biztalk group  must be created automatically and must have added user to that group(correct me if I am wrong) 

Yes the needed local BizTalk Groups is created during Basic Configuration, logged on user will be your Biztalk Administrative account

/Peter

Wednesday, September 6, 2017 8:18 AM
  • Hi,

Are you logged on using the Biztalk account?? As from your explanation, that one seems to have sufficient rights. Check if the user with which you are logging on has the log on rights using Windows Authentication in SQL

Mandar Dharmadhikari

Friday, September 8, 2017 3:38 PM
  • Hi Har,

Any update on the issue??

Mandar Dharmadhikari

Wednesday, September 13, 2017 3:18 AM
  • Thanks Mandar,

Sorry for late reply.

Yess, Now I can connect to SQL server using SSMS and windows authentication.

But when I checked Security-->Logins My user id is not mentioned there

Monday, October 16, 2017 11:07 AM
  • The windows account needs to be mapped to an SQL server login

To create a SQL Server login that uses Windows Authentication (SQL Server Management Studio)

• In SQL Server Management Studio, open Object Explorer and expand the folder of the server instance in which to create the new login.
    • Right-click the Security folder, point to New, and then click Login.
    • On the General page, enter the name of a Windows user in the Login name box.
    • Select Windows Authentication.
    • Click OK.

Ref:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/da-dk/library/aa337562(v=sql.105).aspx

/Peter

Monday, October 16, 2017 11:24 AM
  • The windows account needs to be mapped to an SQL server login

To create a SQL Server login that uses Windows Authentication (SQL Server Management Studio)

• In SQL Server Management Studio, open Object Explorer and expand the folder of the server instance in which to create the new login.
    • Right-click the Security folder, point to New, and then click Login.
    • On the General page, enter the name of a Windows user in the Login name box.
    • Select Windows Authentication.
    • Click OK.

Ref:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/da-dk/library/aa337562(v=sql.105).aspx

/Peter

Why do I need to do this extra thing as I can connect to the sql using windows authentication?

Monday, October 16, 2017 11:41 AM
  • I assume you have implicit sysadmin access through the biztalk domain/user group (eg BizTalk Server Administrators)

Why do you want explicit access as mentioned in your previous post?

But when I checked Security-->Logins My user id is not mentioned there

/Peter
    Monday, October 16, 2017 12:10 PM
  • I tried to delete the biztalk databases and I got the eror 

the execute permission was denied on the object sp_delete_database_backuphistory..

Monday, October 16, 2017 12:22 PM
  • Do you need to reconfigure the system?

You need sysadmin access to delete the object either as part of BizTalk Server Administrator group or through an explicit user configuration as mentioned above

/Peter

Monday, October 16, 2017 12:33 PM