Has printing from VB made any kind of progress ?

General discussion

• About a year ago I looked into the printing process upon which one of my apps porting to Windows Store depends.

I tried to apply the quick start https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/xaml/hh465204.aspx but it does not seem to be complete.

Then I tried to understand the Printing Sample. I do not know who created it, but he seems to have made every possible effort to obfuscate the process, with a massive use of calls to methods scattered at so many levels. Instead of providing a clear way of applying the framework, this tangled ball of yarn is an insult to a programmer's intelligence.

Even worse, if I just wanted to use that black box mess by simply modifying the project by adding pages, it simply won't compile. Congratulations, pal, you invented the definite nightmare.

Has anybody succeeded telling heads and tails from such a catastrophe ?

I am not too confident, but who knows ? Someone may have succeeded. It is such a pity that I think there would be a rather nice market for a third party tool. I am sure I would not be the only one willing to buy a solution instead of wasting time with such crp as the present sample.

Also, I do think sabotaging that way the new framework is not right. Microsoft interest is for developers to create apps for the Windows Store. Not for them to get stuck in undue complexity.

I looked at printing in HTML at https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh780609.aspx and it is a model of simplicity. Why on earth has not anybody thought about doing the same in VB ?

TIA

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 11:33 AM

All replies

• Wednesday, February 11, 2015 5:48 AM
  • I love it. Whenever someone asks for a SIMPLE way of printing from a Windows Store app, a benevolent soul gently points to the Print Sample. I wonder if any of them has indeed tried to apply it in real life to their own VB code. Thank you, though.

I wasted long hours trying to make heads and tails of the most convoluted, unreadable and obscure piece of you know what I ever found in 30+ years programming. The Print Sample seems to have been created only to deceive and make sure nobody ever can print from Windows Store VB applications.

Compared to the HTML sample, the author should be ashamed for producing what is in effect a perfectly unusable sample code, when it should have been instead a clear and easy to understand example of what VB can do. As it stands, it is an epitome as why developing some Windows Store apps makes no sense whatsoever.

It is really a pity to see all the efforts Microsoft is pouring into Windows 10 and universal applications based on the new API, to see the practical implementation for developers sabotaged in such a way. How will ever the Windows Store even dream of approaching the over a million apps in the App Store, when programming the simple tasks is akin to climbing mount Everest ? All that to get rather moderate sales in a store catering to the some 18% of Windows 8.x users ? 

Guess I should continue to allow my valuable time to Mac OS X and iOS development. Nothing serious can be achieved when support is so dismal.

• Edited by Mitchb00 Wednesday, February 11, 2015 9:39 AM
    Wednesday, February 11, 2015 9:36 AM
  • Hello,

While we do appreciate your feedback and concerns about the current state of the XAML printing stack we try very hard to make the MSDN forums a positive place for questions, answers and ideas. We do appreciate your candor but we ask that you please keep your questions and discussions constructive and actionable.

We want you and all of our ecosystem developers to have a positive impact on the design and implementation of our APIs. Because of our desire to be inclusive we have started a UserVoice site to allow our developers to suggest changes and new features for the Windows and Windows Phone platform APIs.

I would encourage you to search the UserVoice site and see if your suggested changes and features have already been requested by the community. If you don’t see an existing request on the site I would suggest that you create a new UserVoice request and encourage the community to visit and vote for your recommendation.

Thanks,

James

Windows SDK Technologies - Microsoft Developer Services - http://blogs.msdn.com/mediasdkstuff/

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 8:29 PM
  • No problem. R.I.P.
    Wednesday, February 11, 2015 9:25 PM