[XPe SP2] 0x0000007B dilemma RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to assemble all the components needed to run a set of autmotive applications I've written in .NET on a XP embedded SP2 image. The target device is based on a Jetway J7F2 series motherboard (which is basically an VIA Epia-CN series clone).

VIA offers a package with all their driver needed for a specific ITX series motherboard for download on their site. So I started of with a target design based on that slx file. I then build the image, created a 1024 FAT32 bootpartion and used BOOTPREP to change the bootsectors.

After rebooting the bootscreen popped up. Great! Only after one second.... bang: STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF79BA528, 0xC00000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000).

Back to the target designer....
    Added:
    * PCI standard host CPU bridge
    * PCI standard ISA bridge
    * Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator
    * Primary IDE Channel
    * Secondary IDE Channel
    * Disk Drive
    * Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
    * Standard IDE/ESDI Hard Disk Controller

And added the SATA driver (VIA Serial ATA Controller - 3149) component manually. (Which did not come with the total VIA package)

Build image... Copy files... Reboot... Again 0x0000007b!!

So in desperation I installed XP PRO SP2 on the target machine... installed all the drivers and used TAP.exe to generate a devices.mpq. This file I imported in the target designer and it added some drivers (components). (Some USB connected device drivers were not found, but this can not be a problem).

Build image... Copy files... Reboot... Again 0x0000007b!!

This is a frustrating experience, after almost 2 years of software development I want to see my baby in action on the target hardware ! Can someone hint me towards a solution?

(Is it perhaps the method of deployment or the drivers used?)

Thursday, July 31, 2008 3:24 PM

Answers

• Boot....!

Problem: VIA components (SATA? / RAID?) in my DB
    Solution: Empty DB (SP2 + updates), devices.mpq import, only audio codec component +  vga driver component import!
    Saturday, August 2, 2008 8:38 PM

All replies

•  

What works best is to start from scratch (it isn't a difficult process to get a bootable XPE image).

I'd recommend installing XP Pro on the device then running TAP.EXE to generate an profile of the hardware present (as opposed to what is in their SLX which for a variety of reasons may not be a perfect match).  TAP.EXE will generate a .PMQ file.  Import that .PMQ file (preferrably into Component Designer, although you can import directly into Target Designer) and then add OS features as necessary.

Another "first timer" issue to watch out for, make sure you have the drive letter settings correct.  Typically it's just C: thus doesn't require changes but pay close attention if you stray from the norm.  The drive letter needed isn't necessarily what your XP Pro has assigned to your drive.  For example, if you have a hard drive and a CD drive, then install XP Pro, the HD will be C: and the CD will be D:.  If you then add a second HD, that will be E:.  However, if you install a fresh OS (like XP Embedded), that second HD would be seen as D: instead of E:.

Good luck.

Thursday, July 31, 2008 3:54 PM
  • http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/29108856/infamous-bsod-stop-7b-err.aspx

Then there is a link Sean provides that should be of use too.

Definitely make your own slx file.
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 5:41 PM
  • I used tap.exe... but I did import it into the existing VIA based slx.

I'll build an image from scratch based just on the MPQ file to see is this will solve my problem.

Drive letters are no problem. I used a disc with just a primary partition of 1024MB (disk(0), partition(1)). This should always work with the settings you put there as default (I am not that green, I know how Windows works with partitions ;-)).
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 7:18 PM
  • - Created a new empty SLX file.
    - Imported devices.mpq (made using tap.exe on target machine running xp pro sp2)
    - Added .NET framework 2.0 component
    - Added DirectX 9.0c component
    - Ran dependency check
    - Solved automated dependency issue tasks
    - Build image (0 errors, only eval warning)
    - Copied it to target machine

Boot -> *** STOP: 0x000007B!!!

Does this mean one of the driver components is corrupt...?
    Does this mean I didn't prepare the target machine's boot partition as I should have...?

I suspect the last case, what I did:
    - Made new primary partition (1024MB)
    - Formatted the
    partition in FAT32
    - Ran bootprep /dC from bootfloppy (where I did check that C was the target partition)
    - Copied contents of "image" to that partition

@ByranBu: Already came across that thread and the linked PDF. The list in my first post came from that PDF. I will try the last hint (MinLogon Sample Macro).

Any suggestions?
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 8:01 PM
  • Did you happen to save the log file from your import of the PMQ file?  It typically shows a huge list of analysis and at the end, the summary of what actually happened.  That typically results in adding ~90% of the drivers needed (those found in the component database).  Its possible that one of the warnings (doesn't show as an error!!!) listed at the bottom of that import is a relavent driver for your bootup sequence.

FYI: What I typically do is import into Component Designer and make a component out of the device list and base it on the "Selector Prototype" component.  Doing so allows you to have greater flexibility with your list when working with Target Designer.

Can you share your import log or more ideally, just the summary at the end of that log file?

Thanks

Thursday, July 31, 2008 8:28 PM
  • WRT to your bootprep question.  It shouldn't be the issue here.

Bootprep allows a NTLDR style OS to begin the boot process (as you've likely read, bootprep isn't always needed depending on how you formatted the partition).  Once the OS begins to boot, you've proven the point that the MBR is correct.  After that point, it's an issue of the OS itself being able to boot.

Thursday, July 31, 2008 8:37 PM
  • I put the entire log (including dep checks) here.

These are the warnings from the devices.mpq import:
    Warning:Could not find a driver for HID-compliant apparaat (HID\Vid_046d&Pid_c50b&Rev_2100&MI_01&Col03).
    Warning:Could not find a driver for HID-compliant apparaat (HID\Vid_0d62&Pid_001c&Rev_0202&MI_01&Col01).
    Warning:Could not find a driver for HID-compliant apparaat (HID\Vid_0d62&Pid_001c&Rev_0202&MI_01&Col03).
    Warning:Could not find a driver for Algemeen volume (STORAGE\Volume).
    Warning:Could not find a driver for Algemeen volume (STORAGE\Volume).
    Warning:Could not find a driver for Hardware Device: STORAGE\Volume (STORAGE\Volume).
    Warning:Could not find a driver for Generic RNDIS (USB\Vid_0bb4&Pid_0b0b&Rev_0000).
    Warning:Could not find a driver for hp LaserJet 1000 (USBPRINT\Hewlett-Packardhp_La85C5).

The "Algemeen volume" lines are Dutch, it means something like "Generic volume", the rest is USB mouse / printer related should not be a problem?

BTW did BIOS Reset. Check mem: 100%, check disk for bad sectors: none, S.M.A.R.T.: disc ok... HW is 100% OK it simply runs XP without problems. But not XPe images... I'm beginning to suspect the VIA drivers (whitch are actually the only non-standard components in my database ATM). Any pointers on how to debug this problem?
    Friday, August 1, 2008 6:58 PM
  • Boot....!

Problem: VIA components (SATA? / RAID?) in my DB
    Solution: Empty DB (SP2 + updates), devices.mpq import, only audio codec component +  vga driver component import!
    Saturday, August 2, 2008 8:38 PM