Third Party Controls Error RRS feed

• Question

• User394058664 posted

Whenever I try to add a 3rd party control onto a web form I get the error:

Control cannot be created because Visual Studio cannot find the control's type in the control assembly.

I use the controls all the time in C#, so I assume this is associated with IronPython? Do I have to do something special before dragging and dropping a 3rd party control on a webform?

Regards,

Dave

Friday, December 15, 2006 11:00 AM

All replies

• User1641955678 posted

Hi Dave,

I'm not sure what the problem might be, but we will investigate and get back to you.

thanks
    David

Saturday, December 16, 2006 8:36 PM
  • User394058664 posted

Thanks, David.

Just to be complete, I mentioned this to one of my control vendors who duplicated the error on their side and confirmed it had something to do with the IronPython ASP.NET CTP. They didn't elaborate more than that.

Regards,

Dave

Monday, December 18, 2006 4:25 PM
  • User1641955678 posted

Hi Dave,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.  Couple questions:

1. Is this with a control that lives in the GAC, or in the web app's bin directory?
    2. When you get the error, do you have a register directive on your page?  Normally, VS adds one one you drag n drop the control.

thanks,
    David

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 8:43 PM
  • User394058664 posted

Not a problem. I found a workaround that will probably help you figure out the issue.

The controls are in the bin directory.

You hit upon what I think is the problem, the designer is not adding the register directive or having a problem doing it.

When I just drag and drop I get the error mentioned earlier.

If I add the Register Directive manually to the page ( my workaround ), like:

<%@ Register Assembly="Janus.Web.GridEX.v3" Namespace="Janus.Web.GridEX" TagPrefix="jwg" %>

and then drag and drop the control, everything appears to work fine.

In a nutshell, I can add drag and drop the control successfully after I manually add the register directive. If I don't manually add the directive, I cannot and get the error mentioned earlier.

Regards,

Dave

Thursday, December 21, 2006 5:03 PM
  • User1641955678 posted

Thanks Dave, I now understand the issue better.  Basically, this is broken for any no-compile page (which is what IronPython uses).  That is, any page that uses compilationMode="Never", even if it's marked as language=C# and has nothing to do with IronPython.

Note that this is purely a designer issue, and noy a runtime issue.  I'll report this to the right people.

thanks,
    David

Thursday, December 21, 2006 6:47 PM