Display driver stopped working and has successfully recovered

Question

• Hi i have a hp dv9500 laptop with a nvidia geforce 8400m gs. I recently installed the windows 8 Devp preview. Everything seemed to be working fine until one day my screen went black and after a few seconds came back on and i got this message saying "Display driver has stopped working and has successfully recovered." I thoght it was a temporary problem but then it kept getting worse until i couldnt even reach the login screen it would just show starting windows and then weird designs would start appearing on the screen. I tried installing windows 7 after that and im having the same problem. It keeps recovering and then now i cant even get to the login screen and every time i turn it on startup repair starts up!!!! Please help.
    Monday, November 7, 2011 8:24 PM

Answers

• That is usually caused by the Timeout Detection and Recovery (TDR) feature that was implemented in Windows Vista.  I have seen that particular error various times with nVidia graphics drivers, but it is not the only factor that can trigger this to happen.  You can find more detailed info about it here:  Timeout Detection and Recovery of GPUs through WDDM

If you are able to, try loading the OS in Safe Mode, and if successful, uninstall any graphics drivers you may have installed.  Restart the OS normally and install the latest drivers afterwards.

Since you are having the same issue after reinstalling Windows 7 from Windows Developer Preview, and you had mentioned you were seeing "weird designs" on the screen, you might be having problems with your graphics processor.  :c

Let us hope for the best though.  Keep us posted.

rafael

Microsoft Consumer Software & Services Support (CS3)
    Monday, November 7, 2011 9:20 PM
    Answerer