MyProject.vcproj.vspscc file is missing RRS feed

• Question

• When I check out the MyProject.vcproj file using Visual Studio 2005, I get an error message indicating that it cannot check out the MyProject.vcproj.vspscc file which is true because I don't have that file checked into Visual SourceSafe. However, I don't have this file to check in and can't seem to be able to recreate it. How can I create one of these files for my project so that I can check it into SourceSafe?

Thanks,

Dan

Thursday, August 16, 2007 9:29 PM

Answers

• I believe that this project was added from the SourceSafe Explorer which explains why there are missing files.

The bind/unbind process did not seem to produce these files so I went ahead and re-added the project into a different SourceSafe directory which produced the missing files. I then moved the missing files into the proper SourceSafe directory and then deleted the project that I added just to get those missing files.

Thanks for your ideas and suggestions,

Dan

Monday, August 20, 2007 9:12 PM
  • Hmm.. On my machine, just opening from disk a controlled solution with a VC project that is missing the vspscc file causes VS to re-create the file.

Since you say this does not happen for you I'm tempted to think your solution/project was not added correctly to source control using source control integration. I wonder how you added the project/solution to source control - if you did this with SourceSafe Explorer,that is not the right way of working with controlled solutions .

Anyway, I'd try using File/SourceControl/ChangeSourceControl dialog and unbind (if necessary) then rebind the project to scc.

If you really can't make VS recreate the file for you, go ahead and recreate it manually. Make sure to save it as UTF-8, otherwise you'll mess up the scc integration and get Unspecified Errors.

Alin

Monday, August 20, 2007 6:26 PM

All replies

• Hi Dan,

.vspscc files are important Source Control project configuration files (present at the same location as the project file) which are required for Source Control to work. I am not sure how you ended up deleting this file from SourceSafe. Can you check the history on the project folder under SourceSafe to check if the file has been accidently deleted? You would then be able to recover the file using the "Get" button if you see an entry there.

Also Alin's Web Page gives details on the contents of the .vspscc file in case you need to build it. You can find it here: http://alinconstantin.homeip.net/WebDocs/SCC/. Click on "Files used by source control integration in VisualStudio .NET".  

Thanks,

Nitin

Thursday, August 16, 2007 11:58 PM
  • You should not try to manually create the vspscc file if you can't recover it from history.

Instead, make a change to the project file (e.g. change a property or add temporarily a new file to it), then checkin your changes. On Checkin VisualStudio will recreate the vspscc file and will checkin it in the scc database.

Alin

Friday, August 17, 2007 10:26 PM
  • I changed the project by adding a new dummy definition and checked the MyProject.vcproj file into SourceSafe. This did not create a new MyProject.vcproj.vspscc file. Adding a new file to the project did not create this file either.

Unless there are other ideas, I may just create this file manually and check it in to VSS.

Thanks,

Dan

Monday, August 20, 2007 11:57 AM
  • Hmm.. On my machine, just opening from disk a controlled solution with a VC project that is missing the vspscc file causes VS to re-create the file.

Since you say this does not happen for you I'm tempted to think your solution/project was not added correctly to source control using source control integration. I wonder how you added the project/solution to source control - if you did this with SourceSafe Explorer,that is not the right way of working with controlled solutions .

Anyway, I'd try using File/SourceControl/ChangeSourceControl dialog and unbind (if necessary) then rebind the project to scc.

If you really can't make VS recreate the file for you, go ahead and recreate it manually. Make sure to save it as UTF-8, otherwise you'll mess up the scc integration and get Unspecified Errors.

Alin

Monday, August 20, 2007 6:26 PM
  • I believe that this project was added from the SourceSafe Explorer which explains why there are missing files.

The bind/unbind process did not seem to produce these files so I went ahead and re-added the project into a different SourceSafe directory which produced the missing files. I then moved the missing files into the proper SourceSafe directory and then deleted the project that I added just to get those missing files.

Thanks for your ideas and suggestions,

Dan

Monday, August 20, 2007 9:12 PM
  • I was able to check in the files via right clicking on the project in VS2005. This recreated the .vspcc file.   (After right-clicking you get a tree stating that there are Newly Added Files with checkboxes)

In VS2005, before doing what I suggested above, this project had a plus sign on the project and stated that it was not under source control.

PCW
    Thursday, October 18, 2012 6:30 PM