Expression Web4 RRS feed

• Question

• Does Microsoft support Expression Web4? It does several strange things when I try to use it. I no longer get a password box when I try to edit. I can no longer do live editing. It often does not publish to the server (godaddy windows). Godaddy says it is a problem with the software,

I tried to go back to Frontpage and had the same problem. I called the microsoft support line and had a terrible experience,. I could not understand the people, they did know about the product or how to help me, They tried to switch me to someone on a chat line and that person kept stalling and was of no use. I finally hung up in great frustration.

Does someone know of another way to get real technical support without having to pay for it. 

I have been purchasing and using microsoft products for over 30 years and I cannot believe the problems I am having,
    Friday, November 1, 2013 1:46 AM

All replies

• Without having to pay for it? No.

Even if you are using one of the paid versions of the product, and not the last, free version, Microsoft charges $259/$99 for phone/email support, per incident. From what we've heard reported here, if you do purchase support, or it turns out to be a software issue so that there's no charge, the support is pretty killer, with repeated callbacks and assiduous effort to resolve the problem. But, for free? Nope, not now, not ever.

And if you're using the now free version EW4 SP2a, there is no support offered for that, even if you're willing to pay for it. And Microsoft basically couldn't care less how long you've been using their products.

From your description, it sounds as if you are trying edit live, using FrontPage Server Extensions. If so, that's a very bad idea, and no one here will recommend that you continue that practice. If you have a local copy of the site, you can try connecting with FTP instead of the FPSE, so you can edit locally and then publish up, as you should be doing anyway. Or, you could try repairing, or removing/reinstalling, the FPSE at the server.

We are a user-to-user forum here—MS tech support doesn't come round here, and never has. Sorry.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Friday, November 1, 2013 2:53 AM
  • Given your description of the problem, it's pretty clear that Expression Web is not the problem. "I tried to go back to Frontpage and had the same problem. "

If you're using FrontPage and still having the same problem, then Expression Web cannot be at fault. That's simple logic. Looking for the cause in EW is a waste of time; that's not where it is.

What could the problem be? GoDaddy. They are the bottom-feeders in the web hosting world. Nobody here will recommend them, and when there is a hosting problem reported, it's often a GoDaddy account. They blames EW because they couldn't be bothered or couldn't figure it out.

My guess is that the FPSEs have become corrupted on the server or can't be run. But since support for FPSEs was cancelled 7 years ago by Microsoft, and no server operating system since Windows Server 2008 R2 can run them, it's entirely possible that GoDaddy upgraded your host server without telling you and it can't run FPSEs. Happens all the time; there are lots of reports in this forum about it. If that's the case, you're screwed.

Go back to GoDaddy and hold their feet to the fire. And when you get a local copy of your site, switch hosting companies to someone reputable, who doesn't use sex and Danica Patrick to sell their services.

Things Liberal Arts graduates never like to hear:
    “…which means you are going first in Double Jeopardy.”

Friday, November 1, 2013 3:48 AM
  • When you talk about "publishing" to the server, it sounds like you are using the Frontpage Publish feature, in which case you are connecting to the site with an http:// type connection.

That type of connection requires the Frontpage server extensions. If the extensions on the server are broken or absent, you will have problems.

And if your site is using some of the other features that require the Frontpage extensions you should think about changing you site to get away from them.

Then you can connect to the site using an ftp:// protocol to transfer files from your local machine to the server (you would need to get the proper ftp credentials from GoDaddy). FTP does not use the frontpage extensions, and in may cases will break them when you ftp to the site.

And as others have said, it is a very bad idea to work on the live site. Work no your site locally and test it with the development server first, then ftp the files up to GoDaddy.

If you decide to dump GoDaddy, check out the host I use below.

ClarkNK, A.K.A. HomePage Doctor
    HomePageDoctor.com -- Database Tutorials
    Ownertrades.com -- Created with Expression, VWDExress, SQL Express, and ASP.NET
    Arvixe -- My favored web host

Friday, November 1, 2013 12:17 PM