PerfSDK missing in stand-alone profiler package RRS feed

• Question

• The API reference says that "By default, VSPerf.h and VSPerf.lib are located in <drive>:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9\Team Tools\Performance Tools\PerfSDK directory". But it appears that these files are not part of the stand-alone profiler setup.

The readme file to the VS2008 SP1 installer claims "The 64-bit Profiler SDK will be included in the 64-bit SP1 Stand-Alone Profiler installation, which will be available on the MSDN Download Center". Yet I have this version installed and there is no trace of the headers/libs.

Are these files available somewhere other than the Team System setup itself then?

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 2:11 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Thank you for taking the time and bringing the issue to our attention. We tracked this issue internally as a bug. we have now corrected and verified the fix for our very next release of Visual Studio.

-Daryush

To help our tracking, please mark replies as answers if they resolve your issue.
    Thursday, March 5, 2009 5:54 AM

All replies

• Bump? I would really like to know whether crippling the usability of the standalone package is intended, or just an oversight?
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 11:16 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry for the late reply.  This appears to be a bug.  I will get this filed internally.  The files should still be deployed as part of the full VS2008 SP1 installation, available somewhere under the Performance Tools\PerfSDK or Performance Tools\x64 folder that you pointed out.  Do you have them there?

Regards,
    Chris
    Friday, January 9, 2009 5:07 AM
  • No, the files are not present anywhere in my VS dir. Is it possible that the installer only writes these files if it detects VS9 TS edition?
    Friday, January 9, 2009 7:09 AM
  • The files will only be installed if:

• You previously had one of the supported products installed (VS2008 Team Suite or Development Edition), and
    • You had the profiling tools installed (i.e. you have a Team Tools\Performance Tools folder), and
    • You're on a 64-bit machine

Does your installation meet these criteria?  If not, we can probably find another way to get you these files.

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 6:11 AM
  • I see. Then criterium 1) was not fulfilled (if you're talking about the service pack).

But I believe that my point is still valid - that the standalone commandline package should include the headers and libs used for instrumentation. I have tried to use vsinstr.exe's commandline options, but it feels very awkward when I need to do anything non-trivial.

I'm in no hurry. I would just like to see this issue resolved sometime, somehow :)

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 2:20 PM
  • Hello,

Thank you for taking the time and bringing the issue to our attention. We tracked this issue internally as a bug. we have now corrected and verified the fix for our very next release of Visual Studio.

-Daryush

To help our tracking, please mark replies as answers if they resolve your issue.
    Thursday, March 5, 2009 5:54 AM
  • Is there another way to get these files?
    Monday, April 6, 2009 1:24 PM
  • I have downloaded and applied VS2008 SP1 and the 64-bit Stand-Alone Profiler.  The files VSPerf.h and VSPerf.lib are not present for X64 development.  I need to profile in 64 bits using the profiler API.  What is the next step that works towards getting the 64 bit profiler API support?
    Gravy Jones
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 4:29 PM