How do I add profile fields? RRS feed

• Question

• We have a webserver running in DMZ with SharePoint Services 3.0 installed. It is joined to our domain, so it uses our internal active directory for its user database. It also uses our internal SQL server.

How do I add fields/textboxes to User Profiles? A few things we want our employees to be able to modify in their profiles are...

* Branch
    * First, middle, and last names
    * Street Address
    * State
    * Phone Number
    * City
    * Zip Code
    * Phone Type
    * SSN
    Friday, August 7, 2009 3:05 PM

Answers

• Unfortunately, you have found one of the major differences between WSS and MOSS.  In MOSS you could do this through a nice GUI in the SSP.  In WSS, this information is stored in a hidden list in each site collection.   So  you will need to make a change to each site collection that you want to modifiy the user data.  Also, the only way I am aware of to modify this data is through code.  Here is a snippet I found that may help:

SPList userProfileList = web.Lists["User Information List"];

foreach (SPListItem user in userProfileList.Items)
    {
        Console.WriteLine(user["Name"] + " " + user["Department"];
    }

That snippet comes courtesy of this link: http://blogs.blackmarble.co.uk/blogs/iangus/archive/2008/01/30/accessing-user-profile-information-in-wss-3-0.aspx

Hope that helps-
    Jeff DeVerter

Friday, August 7, 2009 4:13 PM
  • Hello,

In Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 edition, I am afraid that this cannot be done in out-of-box way and the custom code is needed.

I will mark Jeff’s response as an answer as he has already answered the original question. Generally, we focus on only one issue in one thread. I recommend you to ask the new question in the following queue:

SharePoint - Development and Programming

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointdevelopment/threads

Let us know if I misunderstood your concern. Thanks for your cooperation and patience again.

Best Regards,

Lionel Chen

• Marked as answer by hlrse Wednesday, August 19, 2009 3:25 PM
    Monday, August 17, 2009 8:55 AM

All replies

• Unfortunately, you have found one of the major differences between WSS and MOSS.  In MOSS you could do this through a nice GUI in the SSP.  In WSS, this information is stored in a hidden list in each site collection.   So  you will need to make a change to each site collection that you want to modifiy the user data.  Also, the only way I am aware of to modify this data is through code.  Here is a snippet I found that may help:

SPList userProfileList = web.Lists["User Information List"];

foreach (SPListItem user in userProfileList.Items)
    {
        Console.WriteLine(user["Name"] + " " + user["Department"];
    }

That snippet comes courtesy of this link: http://blogs.blackmarble.co.uk/blogs/iangus/archive/2008/01/30/accessing-user-profile-information-in-wss-3-0.aspx

Hope that helps-
    Jeff DeVerter

Friday, August 7, 2009 4:13 PM
  • Hmm, ok. We'll have to make some compromises and just use the main/global site for access to profile editting. Is it possible to disable users from accessing or even viewing their profile on site collections?
    Friday, August 7, 2009 6:11 PM
  • Hello,

In Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 edition, I am afraid that this cannot be done in out-of-box way and the custom code is needed.

I will mark Jeff’s response as an answer as he has already answered the original question. Generally, we focus on only one issue in one thread. I recommend you to ask the new question in the following queue:

SharePoint - Development and Programming

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointdevelopment/threads

Let us know if I misunderstood your concern. Thanks for your cooperation and patience again.

Best Regards,

Lionel Chen

• Marked as answer by hlrse Wednesday, August 19, 2009 3:25 PM
    Monday, August 17, 2009 8:55 AM