none
Framework 3.5 SP1 Setup.exe reported error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I tried to install the Framework 3.5 SP1 on a Windows 2008 production machine.
    I downloaded the complete package, then ran the installer.

During installation, Setup.exe reported an error (please see below). However the installer terminated normally and said that the installation was successful. It seems that the Service Packs for 2.0 and 3.0 installed successfully at least I see in the setup event, the two events

The Windows update "Update for Windows (KB948609)" was successfully installed. (Command line: ""C:\Windows\system32\WUSA.exe" "e:\b22b327ec39ca64c03f5f8\wcu\dotNetFramework\dotnetmsp\x86\NetFX2.0-KB948609-v6001-x86.msu" /quiet /norestart")

and

The Windows update "Update for Windows (KB948610)" was successfully installed. (Command line: ""C:\Windows\system32\WUSA.exe" "e:\b22b327ec39ca64c03f5f8\wcu\dotNetFramework\dotnetmsp\x86\NetFX3.0-KB948610-v6001-x86.msu" /quiet /norestart")

When I look at "Programs and Features" in the Control Panel, I see Framework 3.5 SP1 installed.
    I am lost. What is installed and what not? The problem I had is :

Product
    setup.exe

Problem
    Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1

Date
    13/08/2008 18:47

Status
    Report Sent

Description
    Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 has encountered a problem during setup.  Setup did not complete correctly.

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name:    VisualStudio8Setup
    Problem Signature 01:    35101
    Problem Signature 02:    3.5.30729.01_ORCAS_X86_NET
    Problem Signature 03:    PR
    Problem Signature 04:    INST
    Problem Signature 05:    F
    Problem Signature 06:    gencomp7051036,{168d82f8-ac6b-4b55-804f-2ae51
    Problem Signature 07:    BASERET_UNKNOWN
    Problem Signature 08:    0
    Problem Signature 09:    5100
    Problem Signature 10:    gencomp301,{12cd
    OS Version:    6.0.6001.2.1.0.272.7
    Locale ID:    1036

Files that help describe the problem (some files may no longer be available)
    WLF2E49.tmp
    SDB2E5A.tmp

Extra information about the problem
    LCID:    1033
    Bucket ID:    301754766

Thanks a lot for any help here!
    Christoph
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 5:41 PM

Answers

• Hi luckman212,

Yes I found a solution.

If I remember well my problem was that I used an english system with french regional settings (actually it there is a hint in the release notes about problemes with localized settings). I never thought about installing the french language files (as I don't need them - I only use the regional settings in order to get numbers, dates and currencies displayed with french settings). 
    So what I did was to install the french language files (I just installed them but did not to switch to). Then I installed the framework again and it worked like a charm.

Hope this helps,
    Christoph
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 8:37 PM

All replies

•  

Hi,

Please refer to the following article when you post a thread on setup and deployment issue on MSDN forums.    http://blogs.msdn.com/aaronru/archive/2007/12/10/what-to-do-when-you-go-to-post-a-setup-and-deployment-issue-on-the-msdn-forums.aspx

Could you offer the detail information about the error you have encountered?   Give some detail error log and setup log please, these could help us to troubleshoot the cause of the error.  

For additional information, please check this article from Aaron Stebner, who is an expert on Visual Studio and .NET Framework setup and installation. http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2008/08/11/8849574.aspx

Please let me know, if you have any more questions.

Thanks,

Best Regards,

Lingzhi

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Saturday, August 16, 2008 5:48 AM
  • did you ever find the solution to this problem?
    I have a friend who has the exact same issue.
    I have tried everything to no avail.
    she has vista 32bit and I've tried the .net verifier as well as sfc /scannow
    help!
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 1:56 AM
  • Hi luckman212,

Yes I found a solution.

If I remember well my problem was that I used an english system with french regional settings (actually it there is a hint in the release notes about problemes with localized settings). I never thought about installing the french language files (as I don't need them - I only use the regional settings in order to get numbers, dates and currencies displayed with french settings). 
    So what I did was to install the french language files (I just installed them but did not to switch to). Then I installed the framework again and it worked like a charm.

Hope this helps,
    Christoph
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 8:37 PM
  •  

Hi Christoph,

Thank you for sharing your resolution here!  Your post is quite beneficial for other community members.

Best Regards,
    Lingzhi

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 12:11 PM
  • Did this solution work for anyone else?  I am not aware that I am using any non-English regional settings, but I am having the exact same troubles.  It seems unlikely that installing the french language pack will fix it.  Did anyone else try this?
    Monday, March 23, 2009 1:18 AM
  • That solution did not help me (thanks anyway) -- I still am faced with this issue and am unable to (re)install the .net framework packages on this person's laptop.  It's quite troubling because I am facing a full wipe & reinstall of the entire OS and all applications.  This time consuming task would take at least 4-6 hours!  If there are any possible alternative methods to solve this I am all ears.
    Friday, April 10, 2009 3:11 PM
  • I am still in the same boat.  Someone even told me that installing Visual Studio 2008 would solve the issue, but that didn't fix it either.  It seems like we have a long list of things that don't work.  I would love to hear from someone who knows a trick that does work.
    Friday, April 10, 2009 3:19 PM
  • Hi gprayback and luckman212,

There must be several installation problems then giving the same error message if it even occurs on machines without any non-English regional settings... 
    To double-check, I tried again this morning and experience the following behavior.

1) Clean install of Windows 2008. Choose as language "English" and as Time and Currency settings "French (France)" (and french keyboard)
    2) Run Windows Update
    3) All updates will install properly except one : Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1

This is clearly a bug of the installer, at least  the error message should be more than cryptic: unkown error (one can probably find a more precise description digging into the logfiles but I did not try this morning - see my first message) 

The following works:
    1) Clean install of Windows 2008. Choose as language "English" and as Time and Currency settings "French" (and french keyboard)
    2) Go to the control panel, regional settings, "Install or uninstall display languages" and add the language fr-fr (the language files are available for windows 2008 as a download from microsoft)
    3) Run Windows Update
    4) All updates will install properly including Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1

Of course you don't need to reinstall - just add the language and run the updater again. And of course it is not related to french. If you use german as time and currency setting you should install the german language packs, etc. This is hinted upon in the readme files.

Please notice that I did not try on Vista and as I said above there are probably other reasons which may lead to this error...
    Friday, April 10, 2009 3:40 PM
  • I had the same error and this fixed the problem after searching and trying many things.
    They key to finding my problem us that I also could not see Roles in Server Manager.

Fix: Run the System Update Readiness Tool (Vista, Windows 7, Windows 2008)
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

This tool took about 30 minutes to run. I was then able to run the .Net Framework installation without error.

If the above tool does not fix it, it may tell you what the problem is, so check the log:
    %systemroot%\logs\CBS\checkSUR.log

Good luck. Very frustrating error.

Thursday, November 4, 2010 12:03 AM