none
Sequence of checkbox content controls do not work as expected in Word 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Start with a blank Word 2013 document and, in Design Mode, insert a sequence of checkbox content controls. Insert at least 5 controls; I doubt that it matter how many but should be at least 2 or 3. I put one control in each paragraph, but I think it does not matter.

Then set the properties of each control. Give each control a different Title, lock each control, but keep the contents of each control unlocked.

In the Visual Basic code for the document, add a Document_ContentControlOnEnter Sub and a Document_ContentControlOnExit Sub. In each Sub, add a MsgBox statement that displays the Title of the content control, along with some text that indicates from which each message is being displayed.

Exit from Design Mode and protect the document by allowing the user to fill in forms. Save the document as a template, though this may not be necessary.

Using the New command in either Word 2013 or Word 2010, create a new document from the template file. Now click various checkboxes and note the sequence of entering and exiting displayed by the message boxes.

In Word 2010, the sequence behaves as I expect. When the user clicks in a box, the focus exits the currently highlighted box, enters the clicked box, exits the clicked box, and enters the next box in the sequence. This last box is highlighted.

In Word 2013, the highlight moves as expected but not the focus. Thus, when a user clicks in a box, the focus exits the last clicked box (not necessarily the highlighted box), enters the clicked box and REMAINS there; however, the highlighting moves to the next box in the sequence. That is, the focus and the highlighted are different. Now click in another box, the focus exits the last box clicks, the one from which I said it did not move; this is NOT the same box as the highlighted one. The focus enters the clicked box and remains there; however, the highlighting moves to the next box.

Is there a fix for this?

In most cases, I can work around it, but it is annoying and sometimes creates other problems, at least so I believe.

Thanks, Van

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 6:40 PM