Azure Storage Best Practices Gen 1 to Gen 2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Just started a new role in the Cloud Infra team, my 1st Azure heavy role since moving from the onPrem Infrastructure roles. In previous roles I have done various migrations for mail and SharePoint (and also setting up some VMs in Azure…). Although not so much experience with storage account and blob storage. I have been tasked with working to reduce costs in Azure, which includes decommissioning unused resources and upgrading Storage Accounts from General Purpose V1 to General Purpose V2. I've found a script called  azure-get-orphaned-objects.ps1 (by Lior Arviv, Microsoft) [couldn’t find a link, but will update once I find one]. I have run the script and it has identified a lot of orphaned resources included unattached disks (managed & unmanaged). I have also run a separate report to export ALL storage accounts to identify which Gen Purp V1 ones to upgrade to V2. I just want to know has anyone had any issues when 1. removing orphaned resources or 2. upgrading the V2 (to support Tiering, etc) . I'm trying to identify some best practices or any gotchas to avoid.

Monday, February 24, 2020 3:55 PM

All replies

• Regarding 2), keep in mind that V2 has considerably higher access charges. You might want to evaluate whether lower storage pricing (per GB) will result in cost savings in these scenarios (obviously keep in mind that v1 does not provide a range of features other than tiering that you might need).

More at https://aidanfinn.com/?p=20834

hth
    Marcin

Monday, February 24, 2020 4:12 PM
  • Thanks. I did see that article and found it interesting that in some cases remaining on the v1 may be much more cost efficient. I had a call with a Microsoft engineer the other day who insisted we should definitely look at General Purpose V2 (as if the organisation would suffer if it did not.. ha). I will weigh out the pros and cons of the upgrade but it was an eye opener to see newer wasn't always the best suited.
    Tuesday, February 25, 2020 9:14 AM
  • There are benefits to using v2 in many cases - but it's important to keep in mind the potential negative implications - especially regarding the cost.

Keep in mind that you can always migrate from v1 to v2 - while the opposite is not true

hth
    Marcin

Tuesday, February 25, 2020 11:57 AM
  • Is there any update on the issue?

If the suggested answer helped for your issue, do click on "Mark as Answer" and “Vote as Helpful” on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Wednesday, February 26, 2020 12:11 PM
  •  @AlphaDeltaRomeo Just checking in to see if the above answer helped. If this answers your query, do click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote for the same, which might be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. And, if you have any further query do let us know.
    Thursday, February 27, 2020 5:05 AM
  •  @AlphaDeltaRomeo Just checking in to see if the above answer helped. If this answers your query, do click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote for the same, which might be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. And, if you have any further query do let us know.
    Monday, March 2, 2020 6:57 AM
  • can these implications be forecasted in the Cost Management and Billing (Cost analysis blade)? ...can this be checked prior to making the upgrade?
    Monday, March 2, 2020 9:26 AM
  • You can use Azure Pricing Calculator to evaluate cost implications

hth
    Marcin

Monday, March 2, 2020 1:00 PM
  • Upgrading a v1 storage account to a general-purpose v2 account is free. You may specify the desired account tier during the upgrade process. If an account tier is not specified on upgrade, the default account tier of the upgraded account will be Hot. However, changing the storage access tier after the upgrade may result in changes to your bill so it is recommended to specify the new account tier during upgrade.

All storage accounts use a pricing model for blob storage based on the tier of each blob. When using a storage account, the following billing considerations apply:

• Storage costs: In addition to the amount of data stored, the cost of storing data varies depending on the storage access tier. The per-gigabyte cost decreases as the tier gets cooler.
    • Data access costs: Data access charges increase as the tier gets cooler. For data in the cool and archive storage access tier, you are charged a per-gigabyte data access charge for reads.
    • Transaction costs: There is a per-transaction charge for all tiers that increases as the tier gets cooler.
    • Geo-Replication data transfer costs: This charge only applies to accounts with geo-replication configured, including GRS and RA-GRS. Geo-replication data transfer incurs a per-gigabyte charge.
    • Outbound data transfer costs: Outbound data transfers (data that is transferred out of an Azure region) incur billing for bandwidth usage on a per-gigabyte basis, consistent with general-purpose storage accounts.
    • Changing the storage access tier: Changing the account storage access tier from cool to hot incurs a charge equal to reading all the data existing in the storage account. However, changing the account access tier from hot to cool incurs a charge equal to writing all the data into the cool tier (GPv2 accounts only).

For more information on the pricing model for storage accounts, see Azure Storage Pricing page. For more information on outbound data transfer charges, see Data Transfers Pricing Details page.

Thursday, March 5, 2020 10:51 AM
  • Hi,

thanks. moving forward I think I would have to assess which of these can be moved to 'cool' storage as it's likely this would cost less in comparison to that of Gen1. the majority have LRS replication..

I did look at the azure price calculator, but seemed a little overwhelming tbh, as we like most companies are constantly trying to migrate resources into the cloud.

Friday, March 6, 2020 4:51 PM
  • The basic pricing structure for Azure Storage is relatively straightforward (for Standard storage, it's the combination of storage and access charges), but it gets considerably more complex once you try to represent the potential usage scenarios - especially if you account for access tiers in v2. What makes it also difficult that in majority of on-prem environments, storage access stats is not reliably tracked 

You might want to use pricing calculator to calculate estimates for most likely scenario for v1 and v2. 

Alternatively, use v1 for your initial deployment into Azure and determine what charges are after the first month - then leverage the existing metrics to determine what it would cost to use v2 for the same data

hth
    Marcin

Friday, March 6, 2020 7:26 PM
  • Just checking in to see if the above answer helped. If this answers your query, do click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote for the same, which might be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. And, if you have any further query do let us know.
    Monday, March 16, 2020 4:14 AM