A version of Expression Web for new Surface RT? RRS feed

• Question

• I see that Microsoft has opened pre-orders for the new Surface RT, with delivery on Oct. 26. Any idea if it will support some version of Expressions Web?
    Tuesday, October 16, 2012 4:54 PM

All replies

• You will have to wait until Microsoft announces products.  They do not tell users (that's us) anything they don't announce publicly.  Since I don't know what OS Surface RT runs, or if it includes the net framework, I can't even make a guess.  (Mind you, my guess would be worth what you pay for it: nothing :)  ).
    Tuesday, October 16, 2012 4:59 PM
  • Yeah, what Kathy says. We're just users here, with no more insight into MS's plans than anyone else. If I were a betting man, I would lay odds that the Surface Pro, which runs a fully-fledged Windows 8 Pro, would probably support EW, since it will no doubt support dotNET, which is a sine qua non for running EW (or any "Expression Studio" app).

OTOH, I would be surprised if Windows RT, the version running on, IIRC, an ARM processor, would fully support dotNET. Not saying it doesn't, because we have no knowledge certain here, but until I see otherwise, I'd bet that a lighter weight version of Windows would not support all the tools of the pro version. Of course, as Kathy noted, my guesses are worth exactly what you paid for them...  ;-)

Frankly, with my style of development, I really can't see doing a whole lot of work on a tablet anyway, but that's another question.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 6:53 PM
  • The answer is no.  The reason is that the RT uses a non-Intel CPU and cannot run object code compiled for Intel processors.  The only software that runs on the Surface RT is that which is bought from the Windows Store or coded specifically for the RT operating system.

Windows RT; Microsoft Office Home and Student 2013 RT Preview (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and OneNote). Works exclusively with apps available in the Windows Store.

To run normal Windows software you'll have to wait for the Surface with Windows 8 Pro version which is supposed to become available 1Q2013.

See this for details:  http://www.microsoft.com/Surface/en-US/surface-with-windows-rt/help-me-choose

Birk Binnard http://www.birkbinnard.com

• Edited by Birk Binnard Tuesday, October 16, 2012 8:39 PM Changed 2014 to 2013
    Tuesday, October 16, 2012 7:21 PM
  • Right, that's pretty much what I thought. I don't worry overmuch about not yet released OSes, but would have been very surprised had they managed to make dotNET work on a non-Intel platform.

However, I think that this may be off by a bit...

To run normal Windows software you'll have to wait for the Surface with Windows 8 Pro version which is supposed to become available 1Q2014.

I think that perhaps you meant 1Q2013, n'est-ce pas?  ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 7:32 PM
  • Intel or AMD based tablets that run Windows but not  ARM Windows RT will run Expression Web. I've got it installed on the RTM version of Windows 8 on my testing tablet. However if you get a widescreen 10" or smaller tablet forget trying to use it unless you attach an external keyboard and mouse.  My 10" widescreen table loses half of the screen when the touch keyboard is active.

You will be able to buy computers with Win 8 including Win 8 tablets that run real Windows 8 - regular not RT version October 26th. There is no need to wait for some "pro" version. I know Samsung has some Intel i3, i5 & i7 tablets and Motion has some i5-i7 tablets that you will be able to buy with Windows 8 that will run Expression Web and any other Windows program. The one I'm currently running Win 8 and EW on is an Intel Oaktrail processor which has considerably less power than any of the iX chips or any AMD based tablets out there. How it would stack up against an ARM surface I haven't a clue but it runs EW well. Though I wouldn't put Photoshop on it. :)

Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 7:58 PM
  • Mais-ouis!

Birk Binnard http://www.birkbinnard.com

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 8:40 PM