none
Balancing a website for both pc and mobile viewing RRS feed

• Question

• Can you recommend information that will help me adjust my website site in EW that may be more balanced for viewing on both a pc and mobile devices (or is there such a thing)? For example, preferred font sizes, picture sizes, etc. I used a Microsoft page that supposedly analyzes parts of your website and it recommended larger font sizes, which show up very well on a pc, and I checked it on a tablet and it seemed fine as well. Its hard to get distinguish between the "threat" that Google will disallow sites that don't comply with mobile viewing and knowing whether or not it is simply a strongarm sales pitch.

Ron
    Thursday, May 21, 2015 3:25 PM

Answers

• The term you are looking for is "responsive design".   Google, and you'll find lots about it.    There is no quick fix to take an existing site and change it.

Google is talking about giving preference to mobile-friendly sites when *the search is from a mobile device*, which makes sense.

• Marked as answer by Aston W Thursday, May 21, 2015 11:25 PM
    Thursday, May 21, 2015 6:12 PM
  • Google says that when a search is done via a smartphone, for example, the search results will favor sites that are mobile friendly, but if the search is done on a pc, no mobile-bias will appear in the results.

I checked search results for my own website on a smartphone versus my computer.  

Indeed, the search results placed some mobile-friendly sites ahead of my own when the search was done on a smart phone versus a pc.

So Google is doing what they said they would do. While that may prioritize the search results for the user in a way that works best for their phone, it is less obvious that it prioritizes search results in favor of the most germane to the search.

ClarkNK, A.K.A. HomePage Doctor
    HomePageDoctor.com -- Database Tutorials
    Ownertrades.com -- Created with Expression, VWDExress, SQL Express, and ASP.NET
    Arvixe -- My favored web host

• Marked as answer by Aston W Saturday, May 23, 2015 2:14 PM
    Saturday, May 23, 2015 12:25 PM

All replies

• The term you are looking for is "responsive design".   Google, and you'll find lots about it.    There is no quick fix to take an existing site and change it.

Google is talking about giving preference to mobile-friendly sites when *the search is from a mobile device*, which makes sense.

• Marked as answer by Aston W Thursday, May 21, 2015 11:25 PM
    Thursday, May 21, 2015 6:12 PM
  • Google says that when a search is done via a smartphone, for example, the search results will favor sites that are mobile friendly, but if the search is done on a pc, no mobile-bias will appear in the results.

I checked search results for my own website on a smartphone versus my computer.  

Indeed, the search results placed some mobile-friendly sites ahead of my own when the search was done on a smart phone versus a pc.

So Google is doing what they said they would do. While that may prioritize the search results for the user in a way that works best for their phone, it is less obvious that it prioritizes search results in favor of the most germane to the search.

ClarkNK, A.K.A. HomePage Doctor
    HomePageDoctor.com -- Database Tutorials
    Ownertrades.com -- Created with Expression, VWDExress, SQL Express, and ASP.NET
    Arvixe -- My favored web host

• Marked as answer by Aston W Saturday, May 23, 2015 2:14 PM
    Saturday, May 23, 2015 12:25 PM