Web Publishing Wizard RRS feed

• Question

• User1898945684 posted

HI

I have used hours to find out where to find the Web Publishing Wizard, with no Luck. Anybody that know where to find it. I do want to administrate the releases of my Application and do think the use of this tool is the way to do it or do you have any other suggestions ?  I am using MS Visual Studio Express 2013 for Web. 

Regards Egil Ryengen

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 6:31 AM

Answers

• User-484054684 posted

Hi,

As per MSDN: In Solution Explorer, right-click the project and select Publish (or Publish Web Site for web site projects) to open the Publish Web wizard.

Screenshots in this article: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd465337%28v=vs.110%29.aspx

Also, a good content map for collection of deployment related articles are here: http://www.asp.net/whitepapers/aspnet-web-deployment-content-map

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, December 2, 2014 8:48 AM
  • User1759999623 posted

I would think so.  Actually, when it was completed, it opened WebMatrix for me and made the Publishing option available.

Since the publishing features are part of Visual Studio, I would believe that the application needs to be contained within a VS project.

Given this, is this an application that you have customized for your situation, or is this just an application without source code?

If it's the latter, you would need to figure out how to publish independent of Visual Studio as this would be beyond its intent for the publishing wizard (though you could possible manipulate VS to publishing for you).

Monday, December 8, 2014 3:47 AM

All replies

• User1759999623 posted

Right-click on your website and select Publish Web Site or right-click on your web application project and select Publish...

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 8:42 AM
  • User-484054684 posted

Hi,

As per MSDN: In Solution Explorer, right-click the project and select Publish (or Publish Web Site for web site projects) to open the Publish Web wizard.

Screenshots in this article: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd465337%28v=vs.110%29.aspx

Also, a good content map for collection of deployment related articles are here: http://www.asp.net/whitepapers/aspnet-web-deployment-content-map

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 8:48 AM
  • User2141029713 posted

Hi Siva

I have triied right-click project in toolbar when selecting solution explorer. Here I found Wweb one click publish". Is it the same ? This marking did give me some new tools: "publish" and "publish web. It seems to be the right ones. But, they are grey and I cannot access them. Is it something I have to do in a way to access them ?

R Egil

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 3:09 PM
  • User2141029713 posted

Hi Careed

I have triied right-click project in toolbar when selecting solution explorer. Here I found Wweb one click publish". Is it the same ? This marking did give me some new tools: "publish" and "publish web. It seems to be the right ones. But, they are grey and I cannot access them. Is it something I have to do in a way to access them ?

When you are saying right-click your website, do you mean the site that is building and shown in the browser? If so, I do not see a reference to "Publish...."

R Egil

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 3:11 PM
  • User-484054684 posted

Hi Egil,

Probably you are using "Web Site" project instead of "Web application" project.

For testing purpose, Could you try by creating "Web application" project and see if Publish option works for you?

Wednesday, December 3, 2014 8:46 AM
  • User2141029713 posted

Hi Siva

Thank you again for spending time on me. I am not able to see the differences between the "Web Site" project instead of "web application" project in VS. I have attached a picture of the page I'm looking into in Visual Studio. Here I have marked what I have found.  Hopefully you can guide me more excact what to do.

R Egil

PS! I were not able to insert a picture here. Do you have an email where I can send the picture.

Wednesday, December 3, 2014 10:40 AM
  • User1759999623 posted

There are no differences in the publishing wizard between a website project and a web application project.  They should behave the same.

Given this, Egil, what are you wanting to do with this publishing wizard?

Wednesday, December 3, 2014 11:59 AM
  • User2141029713 posted

Hi again

I do not find it. My email is: egiryengengmail.com. Send me yours and I will send you the page side.

R Egil

Wednesday, December 3, 2014 3:39 PM
  • User2141029713 posted

To your question. I want make releases along the devlopment of the application.

R Egil

Wednesday, December 3, 2014 3:40 PM
  • User1759999623 posted

You are looking in the Solution Explorer in Visual Studio, yes?

Thursday, December 4, 2014 12:55 AM
  • User2141029713 posted

Hi Careed

Thanks for coming back. Yes, I am looking into Solution Explorer in Visual Studio Express 2013 for Web doing right-click when I am staying at the highest level in the tree structure. I do not see anythin ablout "Publishing". However, I have managed to get something on the toolbar;

- publish

- publish web

- edit publish profile

This tools are not accessable. Is it something I have to do to awoke the publishing tools in Visual Studio?

Regards Egil

Thursday, December 4, 2014 7:55 AM
  • User1759999623 posted

I am guessing that you are trying this at the Solution level in the Solution Explorer.  You need to go down one level to the Project/WebSite level and try right-clicking again.

Thursday, December 4, 2014 3:21 PM
  • User2141029713 posted

H Careed

I am looking for the level Project/WebSite with no luck. Where do I find it ?

R Egil

Friday, December 5, 2014 6:12 AM
  • User1759999623 posted

Let's try again: Go to the View menu. Go to Other Windows, let it expand, and then select Web Publish Activity.  It should put a window at the bottom of Visual Studio.  In that window, you should see its toolbar with a dropdown.  Click on the dropdown and select <New Custom Profile>...  Now, the Publish Web dialog should be opened with the New Custom Profile dialog asking for a new profile name.

If you do not see any of this, then you must not be using a web-based project.

Friday, December 5, 2014 9:02 AM
  • User2141029713 posted

Hi

I have done what you told and got that toolbar with a dopdown. This is the same as found and  have in top meny. However - it is still not accessable. It is gey and I cannot access the dropdown. Why is it not accessable? I am working with the web application nopCommerce, so I do not think that the reason is "no web-based project" .Do you have any idea ?

Thank you very much for your help.

R Egil

Friday, December 5, 2014 12:42 PM
  • User1759999623 posted

Let try this, if you haven't already: Create a brand-new web application project and then right-click on the project and see if you are able to publish.

Saturday, December 6, 2014 9:18 AM
  • User2141029713 posted

2That worked. When I right-clicked I see publish and the "publish ..." I have in toolbar is accessable. 

The question now is: How do I make it possible to publish my application made in nopCommerce and push it forward with releases while I develope and configure further on ? Do you know ?

Thanks a lot for your quiding

Saturday, December 6, 2014 2:58 PM
  • User1759999623 posted

I just installed a nopCommerce app and I am able to access publishing.  So, I'm at a loss as to why you cannot see the publishing features.

Saturday, December 6, 2014 4:11 PM
  • User2141029713 posted

Where did you start the app ? I have put the app in a folder outside Visual Studio / Project. Can that matter ? 

Sunday, December 7, 2014 4:56 AM
  • User1759999623 posted

I would think so.  Actually, when it was completed, it opened WebMatrix for me and made the Publishing option available.

Since the publishing features are part of Visual Studio, I would believe that the application needs to be contained within a VS project.

Given this, is this an application that you have customized for your situation, or is this just an application without source code?

If it's the latter, you would need to figure out how to publish independent of Visual Studio as this would be beyond its intent for the publishing wizard (though you could possible manipulate VS to publishing for you).

Monday, December 8, 2014 3:47 AM
  • User2141029713 posted

Hi Careed

It is a correct conclusion that you have to have the application in Visual Studio/Project to get access to Publishing. Therefore I brought the application over there and loaded it as Web Site. The loading went all right and the access to Publishing tool also alright. Hovever, when I load the application into the browser I got error. In short:

HTTP Error 403.14 - Forbidden

The Web server is configured to not list the contents of this directory.

<fieldset>

Most likely causes:

• A default document is not configured for the requested URL, and directory browsing is not enabled on the server.
    </fieldset>
    <fieldset>

Things you can try:

• If you do not want to enable directory browsing, ensure that a default document is configured and that the file exists.
    • Enable directory browsing.
      1. Go to the IIS Express install directory.
      2. Run appcmd set config /section:system.webServer/directoryBrowse /enabled:true to enable directory browsing at the server level.
      3. Run appcmd set config ["SITE_NAME"] /section:system.webServer/directoryBrowse /enabled:true to enable directory browsing at the site level.
    • Verify that the configuration/system.webServer/directoryBrowse@enabled attribute is set to true in the site or application configuration file.

I have been in IIS manager and enabled the "DirectoryBrowse" and I have put in different default documents, but still it do not work. One problem is that I do not know what the requested URL is in nopCommerce is?

Do you know what I shall use as default document?

The last point above: Verify that the .................. Are you able to tell me where I do find that file?

Thanks for your help.

Regards Egil

</fieldset>
    Wednesday, December 10, 2014 6:21 AM
  • User2141029713 posted

I have solved the problem.

R Egil

Friday, December 12, 2014 2:24 PM