none
How to integrate touchless gesture recognition hardware into Windows 8 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

our company is considering to develop a touchless gesture recognition hardware and I am currently evaluating how this can be integrated into Windows 8. I myself have a hardware background, so I am not very familiar with all the details of Windows 8 driver development.

I already read through the WDK documentation which is available on msdn and I read through some threads in this forum. However I still have some remaining questions.

As I understood it, HID is the right API to interface with a touchless gesture recognition hardware. The HID API expects to get X/Y coordinates from the hardware. Windows 8 uses this information to recognize gestures, which will be indicated to the application.

Our hardware can be considered as a kind of "gesture hardware accelerator", since it directly outputs recognized gestures in contrast to raw X/Y coordinates. Therefore I feel that HID might not be suitable.

Q1: Is it possible to use HID for the beforementioned purpose?

Q2: If not, which API could be better suited?

Q3: Is it possible to bypass the "software gesture recognition" altogether and directly indicate recognized gestures to any application (not just applications that are especially designed for this particular hardware)?

Any helpful comment is more than welcome.

Thank you very much in advance and kind regards,

Sven 

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 9:00 AM

Answers

• all of the win8 recognized gestures have keyboard shortcut equivalents. if you want to give the system "Baked" gestures, enumerate as a HID keyboard and report those shortcuts and all apps will handle it properly.

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 2:57 PM

All replies

• all of the win8 recognized gestures have keyboard shortcut equivalents. if you want to give the system "Baked" gestures, enumerate as a HID keyboard and report those shortcuts and all apps will handle it properly.

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 2:57 PM
  • Hi Doron,

great idea! That's a very simple solution. Thank you very much.

With kind regards,

Sven

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 11:59 AM
  • Hi,

I have another question regarding the proposal. Is it possible for the user to change the keyboard shortcuts, so that the keyboard shortcuts issued by the gesture hardware are no longer working?

If so, I guess it would be possible for the gesture hardware driver to scan the registry during boot time and update the keyboard shortcut list inside the hardware accordingly, right?

But what about the case when the user just changed the keyboard shortcuts? It there a possibility to notify the driver of the changed shortcuts or would the driver have to scan the registry for changes from time to time during runtime?

Thank you very much in advance and kind regards,

Sven

Thursday, November 8, 2012 10:08 AM
  • the shortcuts are not changable by the user.

Thursday, November 8, 2012 4:11 PM