none
Idle Process Open Ports RRS feed

• Question

• I'm doing some performance analysis on our web servers, and I noticed that we have a bunch of connections to the database server open by the idle process(pid=0). They are all in a TIME_WAIT state. Does anyone know why these ports are open? We're using the 2.0 framework.
    Thursday, July 8, 2010 4:41 PM

Answers

• This is an indication that connections have been closed in the recent past.  This might be normal.  After a connection is closed, it remains in this state until a certain length of time has elapsed.  However, that if you see a lot of these it can be a symptom of disabled connection pooling.  So you might want to check your connection strings and look into any where connection pooling is disabled.  You might also want to verify ADO.NET performance counters to observe that connection pooling is being utilized successfully.  Unless you have a really good reason, you definitely want to make sure you are taking advantage of the built-in connection pooling as it significantly helps performance.

The interaction between TIME_WAIT and SQL Server is discussed in this KB, which I recommend that you read: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328476/en-us

• Marked as answer by eryang Monday, July 19, 2010 10:00 AM
    Friday, July 9, 2010 12:01 AM

All replies

• This is an indication that connections have been closed in the recent past.  This might be normal.  After a connection is closed, it remains in this state until a certain length of time has elapsed.  However, that if you see a lot of these it can be a symptom of disabled connection pooling.  So you might want to check your connection strings and look into any where connection pooling is disabled.  You might also want to verify ADO.NET performance counters to observe that connection pooling is being utilized successfully.  Unless you have a really good reason, you definitely want to make sure you are taking advantage of the built-in connection pooling as it significantly helps performance.

The interaction between TIME_WAIT and SQL Server is discussed in this KB, which I recommend that you read: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328476/en-us

• Marked as answer by eryang Monday, July 19, 2010 10:00 AM
    Friday, July 9, 2010 12:01 AM
  • Hi John,

I'm writing to check the issue status, please feel free to let us know if you have any concern.

Sincerely,
    Eric
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback of our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Monday, July 12, 2010 9:01 AM
  • Sorry I didn't reply earlier. From the earlier response, it sounds like what I am seeing is normal, I just didn't understand it. Thanks for checking up.
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 12:26 PM