none
Password Protection of Specific Tasks/Summary Tasks RRS feed

• Question

• Hello! Do you know if it is possible to password protect only specific tasks or all the tasks under a specific summary task? Meaning that to edit a certain subset of tasks, you would need a unique password. I'm in a situation where collaboration into one project is critical, but when we start to get too many hands into the pot, I'm worried that someone will mess up something they aren't supposed to.

Thanks in advance!

Thursday, May 21, 2015 4:38 PM

Answers

• sf38,

The simple answer is, no. In Project, you can password protect the whole file but not a specific part of it.

For your collaboration, I suggest you designate one individual to be the administrator of the file, if it is a single file. If the project is or can be broken into individual files with each cost account manager having responsibility for their own file, then those individual files can be combined into a static master file for reporting whenever needed.

Another option for collaboration is Project Online or Project Server.

Hope this helps.

John

Thursday, May 21, 2015 4:44 PM

All replies

• sf38,

The simple answer is, no. In Project, you can password protect the whole file but not a specific part of it.

For your collaboration, I suggest you designate one individual to be the administrator of the file, if it is a single file. If the project is or can be broken into individual files with each cost account manager having responsibility for their own file, then those individual files can be combined into a static master file for reporting whenever needed.

Another option for collaboration is Project Online or Project Server.

Hope this helps.

John

Thursday, May 21, 2015 4:44 PM
  • Shoot, that was my concern. I'm trying to think of a good way to break it down into subprojects, but the architecture requirements of how things need to be set up to make sense would make it difficult to create subprojects in a way that makes sense (without making subs to subs to subs to subs sort of thing).

Oh well, I will have to figure out a work around. Thanks for the quick response John!

Thursday, May 21, 2015 5:06 PM
  • sf38,

As I said, you might want to look into Project Online but if that's not for you then to break the overall plan down into pieces it would probably go one of two ways - function or organization. Once you get that figured out, then create the subproject files as necessary. And it's okay to have the lowest level effort file feed into the next level and then have those feed into the next level and so forth. It's all a matter of how it needs to be viewed and reported on. One caution though, I would avoid a dynamic master structure as those are prone to corruption. Normally a static master works very well for viewing and reporting to the upper levels.

If this answered your question or at least was helpful, please mark it as the answer or give a vote.

John

Thursday, May 21, 2015 6:28 PM