none
Low-bandwidth: please include "other versions" link RRS feed

• General discussion

• MSDN search has the unfortunate flaw that often the top search result for a specific function, class, etc. is a link to the documentation from an older version of the library.  This is particularly problematic for the .NET docs (I haven't noticed it in the unmanaged API docs, and would in fact be surprised if it was an issue there...it really seems to be a .NET-specific issue).  In many cases, the most recent version page is actually very far down the search results.

Normally, this isn't such a big deal; the documentation page shows up with a box on the right letting you choose from the other versions.  But, that box is missing from the low-bandwidth mode.

It would be great if low-bandwidth mode could still provide a group of links to the pages for the documentation of the same thing in other versions of .NET.

Actually, the best solution would be to fix MSDN search so that it always put the newest version of the searched-for thing at the top of the search results.  But, I don't see MSDN search improving very fast, and it seems like this would probably be a relatively easy thing to include for low-bandwidth mode.  So...  :)
    Friday, May 15, 2009 8:52 AM

All replies

• Hello: Thanks for providing feedback on Low bandwidth page. I have opened up a DCR with the eng team to see if this feature can be added without adding any scripts to the page.

Thanks,
    -Jaya
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 6:43 PM