Any restrictions using MSDN Embedded Systems ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am thinking of acquiring Windows Embedded Standard 7 through buying a MSDN Professional Subscription. I would like to know if the MSDN version covers the full Windows Embedded Standard license and if there are any restrictions in its usage. Specifically, can the images created be distributed through Runtime Licenses (I am aware I need a separate RunTime license for distribution with each device).

Does the Toolkit  provide all that are needed to design the image, management studio, component database, etc?

Regards

Alan

alankst

Friday, August 31, 2012 11:30 AM

Answers

• The MSDN version is the same as the retail, and you can use it to build images. Ofcourse, MSDN subscription costs a lot more.

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

• Marked as answer by alankst Sunday, September 2, 2012 5:41 AM
    Friday, August 31, 2012 8:36 PM

All replies

• msdn is always just for testing! - no matter what.

i'm not sure if it's the full orem version or you just get a key that works for 1 year in the runtime.
    it contains the full toolset.

Windows Embedded Developer and Scripting Guy //Germany (Preparing a blog about Windows Embedded Standard)

• Edited by KNARZ Friday, August 31, 2012 7:20 PM
    Friday, August 31, 2012 7:20 PM
  • The MSDN version is the same as the retail, and you can use it to build images. Ofcourse, MSDN subscription costs a lot more.

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

• Marked as answer by alankst Sunday, September 2, 2012 5:41 AM
    Friday, August 31, 2012 8:36 PM
  • ??  As long as you don't have any CLA / OEM agreement it's illegal to distribute any images. MSDN Subs aren't that much expensive anymore as in times of MSDN Universal or something like that.

Windows Embedded Developer and Scripting Guy //Germany (Preparing a blog about Windows Embedded Standard)

Saturday, September 1, 2012 5:52 AM
  • Thanks for the information. I am fully aware that I require CLA/OEM agreement on the distribution of images, as I have distributed images before under an agreement for the old version of XP Embedded SP3, which I bought several years ago.

I am new to the susbcription thing.  What I was more interested was whether the MSDN version could be used to generate the image like the retailed version, and not just an"evaluation development software". As advised by Sean, the versions are the same.

I am buying the MSDN subscritpion also to benefit from other development software, not just the embedded systems. The emebedded systems, however, are the main attractions.

thanks folks

Alan

alankst

Sunday, September 2, 2012 5:41 AM