none
Create an explorer style form in MS Access 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I want to create a form (Main Menu) in my database that looks like Window's Explorer where you have one subject and then expand it to see the underlying programs, just like when you open the Windows Explorer displaying all the folders. Expanding the main folder reveals all the sub folders.

I want to display the heading, for example "Inventory". On expanding this heading, the different modules for "Add Stock Item", "Edit Stock Items", etc., should be displayed. Clicking on one of the Sub headings, then opens the relevant form for processing.

This is new to me and I have googled several forums, but could not find what I am looking for. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Deon

Thursday, August 10, 2017 7:14 AM

Answers

• I am not sure what you mean by "cascades listboxes (or equivalent)"?

Hi Deon,

I give you 2 examples.

One is which procedures are declared in any module:

The other one is for the selection of which controls (representing fields) will be selected from an external application for extension of the current application:

Imb.

• Marked as answer by Deon SA Friday, August 11, 2017 9:51 AM
    Friday, August 11, 2017 8:54 AM

All replies

• Hi Deon SA,

you had mentioned that,"just like when you open the Windows Explorer displaying all the folders. Expanding the main folder reveals all the sub folders."

like below?

you can try to use Microsoft Tree View Control 6.0.

Reference:

Using the TreeView Control

you need to add it from ActiveX Controls.

if it is not showing you this control then you need to install and register 'MSComCtl.ocx'

this control is part of this library file.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 10, 2017 9:43 AM
  • Hi Deepak,

Yes, this is what I am looking for.

I do not see the "Microsoft TreeView Control" in the list of ActiveX controls, although MSComCtl.ocx is registered in the references in MS Access.

Thursday, August 10, 2017 10:25 AM
  • Forget ActiveX treeview control.  Firstly ActiveX should be avoided at all cost.  Secondly, Microsoft killed of the treeview ActiveX and never had a 64 bit version.

Take a look at http://www.devhut.net/2017/06/15/great-access-tools-treeview-control/ for the proper way to handle this.

Daniel Pineault, 2010-2017 Microsoft MVP
    Professional Support: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
    MS Access Tips and Code Samples: http://www.devhut.net

Thursday, August 10, 2017 12:48 PM
  • I want to display the heading, for example "Inventory". On expanding this heading, the different modules for "Add Stock Item", "Edit Stock Items", etc., should be displayed. Clicking on one of the Sub headings, then opens the relevant form for processing.

Hi Deon,

A series of cascades listboxes (or equivalent) is not satisfactory?

Imb.

Thursday, August 10, 2017 1:29 PM
  • They are VB 6.0 ActiveX components, so unless you have it installed they probably won't be available to you since there are licensing requirements. I would recommend taking a look at Daniel's suggestion.

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Thursday, August 10, 2017 1:31 PM
  • Hi Deon SA,

are you using the 64 bit version or 32 bit version?

if you are using 32 version then check whether you can use other controls provided by 'MSComCtl.ocx'.

if not then try to re register the 'MSComCtl.ocx' as an administrator.

it is possible that it not installed properly last time cause this issue.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 11, 2017 6:10 AM
  • Hi Imb-hb,

I am not sure what you mean by "cascades listboxes (or equivalent)"?

Thanks

Deon

Friday, August 11, 2017 8:12 AM
  • Hi Deepak,

I am using 64-Bit version.

Yes, I can use the other controls in MSComCtl.ocx, but the "TreeView" control is not listed. As I understand, this control is no longer available in the 64-Bit version.

Thanks

Friday, August 11, 2017 8:14 AM
  • I am not sure what you mean by "cascades listboxes (or equivalent)"?

Hi Deon,

I give you 2 examples.

One is which procedures are declared in any module:

The other one is for the selection of which controls (representing fields) will be selected from an external application for extension of the current application:

Imb.

• Marked as answer by Deon SA Friday, August 11, 2017 9:51 AM
    Friday, August 11, 2017 8:54 AM