Did these packages install or not? RRS feed

• Question

• User-1484187403 posted

When I selected Tools | Library Package Manager | Manage NuGet Packages for Solution, I first see the disquieting intelligence: "The remote name could not be resolved: 'packagesource'

Nevertheless, I forged ahead, and tried to install SignalR, Json.Net, and HTML Agility Pack, yet each time I got the message:

"NuGet failed to install or uninstall the selected package in the following project(s)."

Nevertheless, packages.config contains:

<package id="Microsoft.AspNet.SignalR.JS" version="1.1.2" targetFramework="net40" />
    <package id="Newtonsoft.Json" version="5.0.6" targetFramework="net40" />

...so what's up? Did they install or not?

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 6:59 PM

Answers

• User281315223 posted

You should be able to tell if they were installed properly if the specific files and references related to each of these packages were installed.

Check for the following files based on each of the package (note I am very roughly estimating this so it may not be exact) :

SignalR

• Microsoft.AspNet.SignalR.Core (added as a Reference)
    • Microsoft.AspNet.SignalR.Owin (added as a Reference)
    • Microsoft.AspNet.SignalR.SystemWeb (added as a Reference)
    • jquery.signalR-{version}.js (added under Scripts)
    • jquery.signalR-{version}.min.js (added under Scripts)

Json.NET

• Newtonsoft.Json (added as a Reference)

HTML Agility Pack

• HtmlAgilityPack (added as a Reference)

As long as you have all of the files mentioned above and your packages.config looks similar to the following, you should be alright

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <packages>
      <package id="HtmlAgilityPack" version="1.4.6" targetFramework="net45" />
      <package id="jQuery" version="1.6.4" targetFramework="net45" />
      <package id="Microsoft.AspNet.Mvc" version="4.0.20710.0" targetFramework="net45" />
      <package id="Microsoft.AspNet.Mvc.FixedDisplayModes" version="1.0.0" targetFramework="net45" />
      <package id="Microsoft.AspNet.Razor" version="2.0.20715.0" targetFramework="net45" />
      <package id="Microsoft.AspNet.SignalR" version="1.1.2" targetFramework="net45" />
      <package id="Microsoft.AspNet.SignalR.Core" version="1.1.2" targetFramework="net45" />
      <package id="Microsoft.AspNet.SignalR.JS" version="1.1.2" targetFramework="net45" />
      <package id="Microsoft.AspNet.SignalR.Owin" version="1.1.2" targetFramework="net45" />
      <package id="Microsoft.AspNet.SignalR.SystemWeb" version="1.1.2" targetFramework="net45" />
      <package id="Microsoft.AspNet.WebApi" version="4.0.20710.0" targetFramework="net45" />
      <package id="Microsoft.AspNet.WebApi.Client" version="4.0.20710.0" targetFramework="net45" />
      <package id="Microsoft.AspNet.WebApi.Core" version="4.0.20710.0" targetFramework="net45" />
      <package id="Microsoft.AspNet.WebApi.WebHost" version="4.0.20710.0" targetFramework="net45" />
      <package id="Microsoft.AspNet.WebPages" version="2.0.20710.0" targetFramework="net45" />
      <package id="Microsoft.Net.Http" version="2.0.20710.0" targetFramework="net45" />
      <package id="Microsoft.Owin.Host.SystemWeb" version="1.0.1" targetFramework="net45" />
      <package id="Microsoft.Web.Infrastructure" version="1.0.0.0" targetFramework="net45" />
      <package id="Newtonsoft.Json" version="5.0.6" targetFramework="net45" />
      <package id="Owin" version="1.0" targetFramework="net45" />
    </packages>

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, June 18, 2013 7:39 PM
  • User281315223 posted

You may want to try reinstalling those packages (it probably wouldn't hurt to make sure that Visual Studio is running in "Administrator Mode" as well).

According to this Stack Overflow discussion, it sounds like you'll also want to make sure that you are running at least NuGet 1.4 or higher (as it appears to be an issue with older versions).

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 7:33 AM
  • User-166373564 posted

Hi bclayshannon

"NuGet failed to install or uninstall the selected package in the following project(s)."

For this issue, perhaps there is something wrong with your VS, or you don’t choose the proper packages, you can follow the ways below to repair VS and choose the packages you want,

To repair Visual Studio

1.In Control Panel, on the Programs and Features page, choose the product edition that you want to repair, and then choose Uninstall/Change.

2.In the Setup wizard, choose Repair, choose Next, and then follow the remaining instructions.

To repair Visual Studio in silent or passive modes (that is, repair from source)

1.On the computer where Visual Studio is installed, open the Windows command prompt.

2.Enter the following parameters:

DVDRoot \vs_ProductName.exe </quiet|/passive> [/norestart]

If ERRORLEVEL 1 Echo ERRORLEVEL=%ERRORLEVEL%

You can also refer nuget document to learn how to finding and installing a NuGet Package using the Package Manager Console,

http://docs.nuget.org/docs/start-here/using-the-package-manager-console

Regards

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 1:23 AM

All replies

• User281315223 posted

You should be able to tell if they were installed properly if the specific files and references related to each of these packages were installed.

Check for the following files based on each of the package (note I am very roughly estimating this so it may not be exact) :

SignalR

• Microsoft.AspNet.SignalR.Core (added as a Reference)
    • Microsoft.AspNet.SignalR.Owin (added as a Reference)
    • Microsoft.AspNet.SignalR.SystemWeb (added as a Reference)
    • jquery.signalR-{version}.js (added under Scripts)
    • jquery.signalR-{version}.min.js (added under Scripts)

Json.NET

• Newtonsoft.Json (added as a Reference)

HTML Agility Pack

• HtmlAgilityPack (added as a Reference)

As long as you have all of the files mentioned above and your packages.config looks similar to the following, you should be alright

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <packages>
      <package id="HtmlAgilityPack" version="1.4.6" targetFramework="net45" />
      <package id="jQuery" version="1.6.4" targetFramework="net45" />
      <package id="Microsoft.AspNet.Mvc" version="4.0.20710.0" targetFramework="net45" />
      <package id="Microsoft.AspNet.Mvc.FixedDisplayModes" version="1.0.0" targetFramework="net45" />
      <package id="Microsoft.AspNet.Razor" version="2.0.20715.0" targetFramework="net45" />
      <package id="Microsoft.AspNet.SignalR" version="1.1.2" targetFramework="net45" />
      <package id="Microsoft.AspNet.SignalR.Core" version="1.1.2" targetFramework="net45" />
      <package id="Microsoft.AspNet.SignalR.JS" version="1.1.2" targetFramework="net45" />
      <package id="Microsoft.AspNet.SignalR.Owin" version="1.1.2" targetFramework="net45" />
      <package id="Microsoft.AspNet.SignalR.SystemWeb" version="1.1.2" targetFramework="net45" />
      <package id="Microsoft.AspNet.WebApi" version="4.0.20710.0" targetFramework="net45" />
      <package id="Microsoft.AspNet.WebApi.Client" version="4.0.20710.0" targetFramework="net45" />
      <package id="Microsoft.AspNet.WebApi.Core" version="4.0.20710.0" targetFramework="net45" />
      <package id="Microsoft.AspNet.WebApi.WebHost" version="4.0.20710.0" targetFramework="net45" />
      <package id="Microsoft.AspNet.WebPages" version="2.0.20710.0" targetFramework="net45" />
      <package id="Microsoft.Net.Http" version="2.0.20710.0" targetFramework="net45" />
      <package id="Microsoft.Owin.Host.SystemWeb" version="1.0.1" targetFramework="net45" />
      <package id="Microsoft.Web.Infrastructure" version="1.0.0.0" targetFramework="net45" />
      <package id="Newtonsoft.Json" version="5.0.6" targetFramework="net45" />
      <package id="Owin" version="1.0" targetFramework="net45" />
    </packages>

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 7:39 PM
  • User-1484187403 posted

Newtonsoft.Json is there under References, but no HtmlAgilityPack or SignalR. And even Newtonsoft.Json is "decorated" with an ominous yellow yield/warning sign (black exclamation mark in a yellow triangle).

I thought maybe my install of VS 2010 was just kind of wacky, so I installed Visual Web Dev Express 2012, and there too I get the disappointing msg in the Package Manager "The remote name could not be resolved: 'packagesource'

?!?!?

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 7:56 PM
  • User281315223 posted

You may want to try reinstalling those packages (it probably wouldn't hurt to make sure that Visual Studio is running in "Administrator Mode" as well).

According to this Stack Overflow discussion, it sounds like you'll also want to make sure that you are running at least NuGet 1.4 or higher (as it appears to be an issue with older versions).

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 7:33 AM
  • User-1484187403 posted

I'm not able to reinstall *any* packages, that's the problem. I am running in administrator mode (always do - I set it up to do that, and I get asked each time I start VS).

In addition to the problems noted above, when I click in the Search box the msg changes to "No packages found in the current package source."

When I search for something, such as, "json.net" or "signalr" I get, "The remote name could not be resolved: 'packagesource'" again...

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 12:28 PM
  • User-1484187403 posted

So, I installed Nuget itself into the project, and after that everything seemed to work. Sufferin' Succotash and Heavens to Murgatroid! I assumed that Nuget was *already* installed, otherwise how would the whole "Manage Nuget Packages" work or make any sense?!?

However, if I go to "Manage NuGet Packages" and select Online | Package Source, I still get: "The remote name could not be resolved: 'packagesource'"

But packages.config now contains (among other things, of course):

<package id="HtmlAgilityPack" version="1.4.6" targetFramework="net40" />
    <package id="Microsoft.AspNet.SignalR" version="1.1.2" targetFramework="net40" />
    <package id="Microsoft.AspNet.SignalR.Core" version="1.1.2" targetFramework="net40" />
    <package id="Microsoft.AspNet.SignalR.JS" version="1.1.2" targetFramework="net40" />
    <package id="Microsoft.AspNet.SignalR.Owin" version="1.1.2" targetFramework="net40" />
    <package id="Microsoft.AspNet.SignalR.SystemWeb" version="1.1.2" targetFramework="net40" />
    <package id="Newtonsoft.Json" version="5.0.6" targetFramework="net40" />

...so I'm still a bit baffled, but nonetheless a mite mollified.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 12:38 PM
  • User-166373564 posted

Hi bclayshannon

For this issue, perhaps there is something wrong with your VS, or you don’t choose the proper packages, you can follow the ways below to repair VS and choose the packages you want,

To repair Visual Studio

1.In Control Panel, on the Programs and Features page, choose the product edition that you want to repair, and then choose Uninstall/Change.

2.In the Setup wizard, choose Repair, choose Next, and then follow the remaining instructions.

To repair Visual Studio in silent or passive modes (that is, repair from source)

1.On the computer where Visual Studio is installed, open the Windows command prompt.

2.Enter the following parameters:

DVDRoot \vs_ProductName.exe </quiet|/passive> [/norestart]

If ERRORLEVEL 1 Echo ERRORLEVEL=%ERRORLEVEL%

You can also refer nuget document to learn how to finding and installing a NuGet Package using the Package Manager Console,

http://docs.nuget.org/docs/start-here/using-the-package-manager-console

Regards

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 1:23 AM