Settings - System tab RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any way to remove icon from Settings - System tab? Is there any way to change the program which will be executed after tapping e.g. 'Audio' icon? Windows Mobile 5.0
    Friday, May 22, 2009 1:35 PM

Answers

• To remove an icon from the Settings - System tab.  Go to the device registry.  Go to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ControlPanel] and you will find the items for the device settings.  Find the key for the item you want to hide.  For instance, on my phone I have a Customer Feedback icon on the system tab.  I added a DWORD under [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ControlPanel\Customer Feedback] called "Hide" and set the value to 1.  Once I rebooted the device, then Customer Feedback no longer shows up in the System tab.

To change the program that is executed, you can add a string key called "Redirect" under the item you want to execute and give it the path to your application.

why do you robot?
    • Proposed as answer by therobotgeek Tuesday, May 26, 2009 2:35 AM
    • Marked as answer by warrentang Thursday, May 28, 2009 2:22 AM
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 2:35 AM
  • Hi Jacek,

I did try removing the About icon.  It did work for my phone which is an AT&T Tilt with Windows Mobile 6.1.  I also tested it on the Windows Mobile 6 Pro emulator that comes with the Mobile 6 SDK and it also worked on that.

To remove the About icon, I had to add an About key because there wasn't one under  [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ControlPanel].  Once I added the key, I then added the 'Hide' value and the 'Group' value under the new key, both are DWORD.  I set Hide = 1 and Group = 1.  Once I did a reset on the device, the About icon was gone from the System tab.

There certainly is the possibility that the manufacturer is doing something in their OS image to prevent you from removing the About icon.  I'll look into it some more and see if I can find out anything else that would be helpful to you.
    why do you robot?
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 4:11 PM

All replies

• To remove an icon from the Settings - System tab.  Go to the device registry.  Go to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ControlPanel] and you will find the items for the device settings.  Find the key for the item you want to hide.  For instance, on my phone I have a Customer Feedback icon on the system tab.  I added a DWORD under [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ControlPanel\Customer Feedback] called "Hide" and set the value to 1.  Once I rebooted the device, then Customer Feedback no longer shows up in the System tab.

To change the program that is executed, you can add a string key called "Redirect" under the item you want to execute and give it the path to your application.

why do you robot?
    • Proposed as answer by therobotgeek Tuesday, May 26, 2009 2:35 AM
    • Marked as answer by warrentang Thursday, May 28, 2009 2:22 AM
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 2:35 AM
  • It's really strange. I've got several mobile computers - your sollution works on some of them, but not on all. How canI remove/redirect 'About' icon? Your sollution doesn't work on any of my devices. Can you try to remowy 'About' icon on your device?

best regards,
    Jacek
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 7:19 AM
  • Hi Jacek,

I did try removing the About icon.  It did work for my phone which is an AT&T Tilt with Windows Mobile 6.1.  I also tested it on the Windows Mobile 6 Pro emulator that comes with the Mobile 6 SDK and it also worked on that.

To remove the About icon, I had to add an About key because there wasn't one under  [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ControlPanel].  Once I added the key, I then added the 'Hide' value and the 'Group' value under the new key, both are DWORD.  I set Hide = 1 and Group = 1.  Once I did a reset on the device, the About icon was gone from the System tab.

There certainly is the possibility that the manufacturer is doing something in their OS image to prevent you from removing the About icon.  I'll look into it some more and see if I can find out anything else that would be helpful to you.
    why do you robot?
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 4:11 PM