Windows 8 Search

Question

• In Win 7, search can be done by Win-key, "search term" (such as "device manager"), and enter. However, in Win 8, there's a distinction of Apps, Settings, and Files, so for "device manager", I need to use my mouse or keyboard to select Settings before I can press enter. Is there a way to prevent such default filtering of categories, i.e., search "All" like in Windows 7?
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:30 AM

Answers

• Thanks for your comments.

Win+W jumps directly to Settings search from anywhere in the OS and searches over new Metro settings and Control Panel.
    Win+F jumps directly to File search from anywhere in the OS

We believe the best way to show search results is to let the App control the presentation. The Search charm uses this model to offer a much broader scope than Windows 7 and to allow each view to evolve to its ideal display format which was previously unsupported by Start Menu Search. Searching Apps, Settings, and Files follows this model giving more room for touch-friendly results and enabling views to be designed for the content.

With this approach users can focus on a particular search task like launching an app, searching for a movie, or searching the web without results from other apps getting in the way or degrading search performance. Long term, once users learn this approach, we believe this model delivers a powerful and consistent search experience.
    What about efficiency?
    Search has been designed for efficiency. Keyboarding to launch Apps is as efficient as it was in Windows 7; simply begin typing from Start and launch the App you’re looking for. Keyboard shortcuts can be used to jump directly to Settings (Windows key + W) and Files (Windows key + F) from anywhere in the OS. Switching from one App to another in the Search charm is also a big time saver. It is now easy to search for a show to watch in one app and then, if you don’t find it, try again in another app.
    What is the difference between an app and a setting?
    • Apps are launched to complete tasks users will frequently want to do such as consuming content, playing games, creating documents, etc. Apps are found in Start.
    • Settings are launched to set up, change, maintain, and configure the system or windows features. Settings are located in the Settings Charm and the desktop Control Panel.
    Thanks,
    Brian

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 5:33 PM

All replies

• Sounds like a usability issue. Hope we can see an "All" option in the final release!

I have submitted this feedback using the Microsoft connect for Windows 8 Developer preview.

Tony John http://www.MyWindowsClub.com
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 10:38 AM
  • Thanks for submitting the feedback. Indeed, this is definitely a regression in usability since similar results could be obtained in the Win 7 Start/Search menu.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 3:17 PM
  • You can use down/up arrows to select the filter, but yeah, having all by default would be nice.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 3:54 PM
  • Try Winkey+W and search for settings, that works for me. Also when searching "Device manager" it seems that you can down arrow key to Settings and enter to launch the search.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:07 PM
  • Thanks for your comments.

Win+W jumps directly to Settings search from anywhere in the OS and searches over new Metro settings and Control Panel.
    Win+F jumps directly to File search from anywhere in the OS

We believe the best way to show search results is to let the App control the presentation. The Search charm uses this model to offer a much broader scope than Windows 7 and to allow each view to evolve to its ideal display format which was previously unsupported by Start Menu Search. Searching Apps, Settings, and Files follows this model giving more room for touch-friendly results and enabling views to be designed for the content.

With this approach users can focus on a particular search task like launching an app, searching for a movie, or searching the web without results from other apps getting in the way or degrading search performance. Long term, once users learn this approach, we believe this model delivers a powerful and consistent search experience.
    What about efficiency?
    Search has been designed for efficiency. Keyboarding to launch Apps is as efficient as it was in Windows 7; simply begin typing from Start and launch the App you’re looking for. Keyboard shortcuts can be used to jump directly to Settings (Windows key + W) and Files (Windows key + F) from anywhere in the OS. Switching from one App to another in the Search charm is also a big time saver. It is now easy to search for a show to watch in one app and then, if you don’t find it, try again in another app.
    What is the difference between an app and a setting?
    • Apps are launched to complete tasks users will frequently want to do such as consuming content, playing games, creating documents, etc. Apps are found in Start.
    • Settings are launched to set up, change, maintain, and configure the system or windows features. Settings are located in the Settings Charm and the desktop Control Panel.
    Thanks,
    Brian

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 5:33 PM
  • Using the other shortcuts (win+W for setting, win+F for files and win+Q for in app searching) does get more effective than it was in win7. Thank you for these shortcuts :P

I have one question, however, when i use the search charm (or press win+q) are all my apps going to be listed all the time? Currently i have so little apps i can't tell, but i already liked the fact that i can pin the most important ones, but if that is the case maybe being able to manually sorting them could come in hand as well...

Thursday, September 22, 2011 3:34 PM