none
Migrate application from 1.1 to 3.5 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have to migrate the .net webapplication from version 1.1 framework to 3.5 framework.

The web application developed in visual studio 2003,has 3 class libraries and a webservice.

when I use the conversion wizard in VS2008 ,will it convert the references(i.e dll of class library) in the web application
    from 1.1 to 3.5 version?

I am not sure how the references in a webapplication is converted ?

Please explain in detail.

Thanks,
    cp

cp_25
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 2:13 PM

Answers

All replies

• This basically means that old classes that you might have used that were part of the .NET Framework in the 1.1 version are going to be updated to the 2.0 framework.  I say 2.0 because 3.5 is simply a set of classes built on top of 2.0.  Make sure you test well to ensure everything continues to work alright.

David Morton - http://blog.davemorton.net/ - @davidmmorton - ForumsBrowser, a WPF MSDN Forums Client
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 2:18 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your fast response.

Question:

1.So the references will be updated to 2.0 framework  after conversion and there is no need to remove the references

from the application before conversion.Please clarify?

2.If I have to make any change in the methods of the class library,how will that work?

i.e I have the source code for the class library project developed in visual studio 2003.

After making changes in the code,when I compile the project in VS2003  it will create a dll in 1.1 version.

Do I need to copy the dll in 1.1 version and paste in the bin folder of the web application
    migrated to 3.5 in visual studio 2008?

So when I compile the web application in VS2008,will it change the dll in 1.1 to 3.5?

3.If I have to make changes in the webservice  that was developed in VS2003 how will that work?

I would like to know in detail because the webapplication developed in VS2003  is using 3 class libraries and a webservice.

Please guide me.

Thanks,
    cp

cp_25
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 3:07 PM
  • 1. Let me clarify with an example.  Take the "string" class for instance.  There's a 1.1 version of "string" and there's a 2.0 version of string.  Microsoft took measures to attempt to make most 1.1 applications upgradeable to 2.0 with minimal issues.  For example, the "Substring" method exists on both 1.1 and 2.0, so you'll simply be using the newer version of the Substring method.   In order for this to happen, the reference to mscorlib, version 1.1 has to be removed, and the reference to mscorlib, version 2.0 will be added.  This should be done automatically for you.  There's no reason to remove the references before conversion.  Leave them as is, and let the IDE do the work for you.

2. If you have to change the source code, you have to change the source code.  There's no way for me to detail all the ways you might need to change it. Hopefully you won't need to change it at all.  Given the size of your application, that's a good possibility, but in some rare instances, there are differences between the .NET 1.1 classes and the .NET 2.0 classes.  The compiler should complain if it can't find a reference or a method any more, and it should tell you if a method has been deprecated, along with which method you might want to switch it to.  You would simply let the IDE do the upgrade, and then compile and run to make sure it still works right.  If it doesn't, track down the bug and fix it, just like you would have if you were using 1.1.  Same thing.

3. See the answer to number 2.  If you have to make changes to a web service upon which the web application depends, you'll need to probably recompile the web application as well. 

There's too many possibilities here to completely detail what you need to do exactly, so the simplest answer I can give you would be to backup your old project, open it in VS 2005, and allow the IDE to upgrade it.  There's a good possibility you'll have no problems at all, but there's no way I can tell you exactly how to fix every problem before the problem happens.  Just give it a go. 

David Morton - http://blog.davemorton.net/ - @davidmmorton - ForumsBrowser, a WPF MSDN Forums Client
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 3:20 PM
  • Hi,

I appreciate for your effort to explaining me in detail.

I created a simple test project in VS2003 .I also created a classlibrary project in VS2003 .I defined a add method in the classlibrary project.

In my test project ,I am using the class library method Add.

I converted the test project developed in VS2003 to VS2008 using Conversion wizard.The conversion was successfull.

I noticed that under References in Solution Explorer in VS2008,I right clicked on my class library reference ,selected properties.

In the properties ,runtime version of the class library reference  is v1.1.4322  and points to the dll of the class library project .

Now I would like to know that when we do the conversion,the reference (dll of the class library added) is still using version 1.1.

So when conversion is done,the user added references still would use the old version in which it was developed is it?

I am not very clear with this.Please guide me.

Thanks,
    cp

cp_25
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 7:42 PM
  • The user added references would still continue to use the old version.  They might need to be recompiled again.

When you ran the application, did it work?  If not, what errors did it give?  If it did, in fact, work, then I wouldn't worry about it.  Move on. 

• Marked as answer by cp7717835 Wednesday, July 8, 2009 8:13 PM
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 7:44 PM