none
Azure migrate vs ASR RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I'm planning to migrate vmware vms to azure and I do see that Azure migrate has capability to migrate the servers now along with ASR.

Just wanted to know like, does azure migrate is mature enough to lift and shift the vmware vms to azure when compare to ASR? Also agentless or agent , which one would be the best practice to follow? I have known the difference between agent vs agentless, just wanted to know more, who got hands on this. 

Would appreciate answers and recommendations.

Thanks,

Lucky

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 6:35 AM

All replies

• Azure migrate vs ASR:

Azure Migrate provides a centralized hub to manage and track discovery, assessment, and migration of on-premises machines and workloads to Azure. Azure Site Recovery is a disaster recovery solution. Azure Migrate: Server Migration tool uses some backend Site Recovery functionality for lift-and-shift migration of some on-premises machines. That being said, for migration scenario, you can leverage Azure migrate. 
    Reference: 
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/migrate/resources-faq 

Agentless vs Agent based:

Agentless migration of on-premises VMware VMs is native within Azure Migrate Server Migration.
    For migration of Hyper-V VMs, physical servers, and agent-based VMware VMs, Azure Migrate Server Migration uses the Azure Site Recovery replication engine.

Refer to  - Comparison between Agentless and Agent based

HTH

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 9:17 AM