none
Framework 1.1 Application errors when run over network RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I recently picked up a project for a client that is stuck on the 1.1 framework. The application in itself is fairly straight forward. A few datagrids and pic boxes to display data from an mdb file.

When run from the host machine it works a treat and has no problems whatsoever, but when it is run from a network folder it crashes as soon as it tries to connect to the mdb file. This is running on a dev machine to match the clients so is sat on the 1.1 framework. When I run it on my machine which has all frameworks it works fine.

So does anyone know what I have to do to make this work as it's proving to be a show stopper with the client. And before you ask, they won't move frameworks, I tried getting them to do that and they said no.

Just to add as well, I have very good error trapping throughout the app and it doesn't return anything. All message returned are blank which is making it an even bigger pain in the asre. Considering it's such a simple app.

Cheers

Jim

• Edited by Jim Whitby Monday, September 20, 2010 10:15 AM added more info
    • Moved by Sheng Jiang 蒋晟 Thursday, August 7, 2014 12:56 AM not winforms related
    Monday, September 20, 2010 10:03 AM

Answers

• It's OK, I've got it working. I had to go to .Net wizards in administrative settings and "Trust an Assembly". I just hope I can get their IT to come up with a solution for this before any kind of roll out.
    • Proposed as answer by Rudedog2 Monday, September 20, 2010 4:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by Helen Zhou Monday, September 27, 2010 3:13 AM
    Monday, September 20, 2010 3:19 PM

All replies

• This will be a .NET Framework permissions issue as you are trying to run the program from a network share. 

May be investigate using ClickOnce if possible as I have had elsewhere that this solves the issue of running .NET programs from network shares. 

How is the program run? Is there an installer?

Monday, September 20, 2010 2:17 PM
  • Not at the moment. It is in it's first phase so we are just running the .exe and .mdb from a folder. Once it's out of test then an installer would be created depending on how many people it needs rolling out to.

The IT policy appears to be quite strict so any changes will be heavily scrutinised and possibly rejected. I'm looking into the process for policy administration and so far nothing seems to be working.

Monday, September 20, 2010 2:45 PM
  • How are you connecting to the MDB file? 

Access databases are intended to be local, single user resources.  Not a multi-user network resource.

Create Remoting Application

Mark the best replies as answers. "Fooling computers since 1971."

http://rudedog2.spaces.live.com/default.aspx

• It's OK, I've got it working. I had to go to .Net wizards in administrative settings and "Trust an Assembly". I just hope I can get their IT to come up with a solution for this before any kind of roll out.
    • Proposed as answer by Rudedog2 Monday, September 20, 2010 4:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by Helen Zhou Monday, September 27, 2010 3:13 AM
  • Great.  The best solution would be to move away from MDB files altogether.

Happy Coding.

Mark the best replies as answers. "Fooling computers since 1971."

http://rudedog2.spaces.live.com/default.aspx

Monday, September 20, 2010 3:29 PM
  • It's out of my hands unfortunately. I've got to deal with what I'm given.
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 9:04 AM