Questions about building on VS 2013 SPAv5.0 template RRS feed

• Question

• User214425036 posted

I am trying to extend the new SPA template (v5.0) in Visual Studio 2013. I have spent time understanding how the authentication pattern in it works and would now like to try building on the template by adding new views and view models but I am stuck. The Project_Readme.html is out of date. It points to an old example for building a To Do list that uses a previous and completely different template. Question for MS, are the any plans to create a similar walk through for this template?

Is there any documentation or examples any where to explain how to build on this template?  Documentation for the AppViewModel class would be a starting point!

Do Microsoft expect developers to build on this template or is it's only purpose to demonstrate the new authentication pattern?

Monday, January 13, 2014 5:41 AM

All replies

• User-1620313041 posted

The new SPA pattern already contains some Views, so you might start studying them. The implemented view show how to build virtual pages with partialviews containing knockout.js bindings.

This means, you may proceed as for a standard Mvc appllication that uses WebApi for ajax call. However, instead of rendering full views, you simply add a new partial view to the page that host the SPA. Moreover, instead of using HtmlHelper you may use plain Html enriched with knockout.js bindings.

The VS 2013 SPA template is very basic. In my opinion it is excellent for learning,...After you have familiarized with SPA concept, if your SPA is quite simple and contains ..say about 10 views you may use the standard SPA template. However, if your SPA is going to have say about 50-200 Views, then you need a robust SPA framework that contains a router, and the possibility to load dynamically both ViewModels and Views, like durandal or angular.

Monday, January 13, 2014 5:54 AM
  • User1751268424 posted

Hi,

You can find the closer one AngularJS end-to-end web app tutorial Part I to AngularJS end-to-end web app tutorial Part IV. At the video is used Bootstrap version 2.x.x, you can change it to a new Bootstrap 3.0.3, You need to follow the migration of this Bootstrap here. 

Have fun

Monday, January 13, 2014 6:18 AM