none
question about use of 3d in small basic; physics RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi everyone!!! i wanted to ask: whit the right experience and knowledge about small basic, is it possible to write a 3d game? like a bow and arrow game? is it possible to implement physics so that the arrow has bullet-drop physics like in real world? and how difficult is it? thanks!
    • Changed type litdevModerator Sunday, July 11, 2010 7:24 PM developped into discussion
    Thursday, July 1, 2010 9:38 PM

All replies

• SmallBasic does not support 3D, but you can try an illusory 3D with image moving&scaling.
    |"| /"/|"""\ /"""\|"| |__ __| /\ |"""\ |"| | |/ / | " / | | || | | | / \ | |\ \ | | | |\ \ | | \ | | || |__ | | / \ | | \ \| | |_| \_\|_|\_\\___/|____| |_| /_/""\_\|_| \___|
    Thursday, July 1, 2010 9:43 PM
  • and which programming tool do you recommend for a beginner? (that supports 3D)
    Thursday, July 1, 2010 9:49 PM
  • www.coding4fun.de (sorry this is a adress from germany)

A culture game is AntMe. You need the express version Visual Basic 2008  or better C# 2008, XNA  and DirectX 9 or later. It is not easy for beginners to write a 3d game.

Best Regards Martin
    Friday, July 2, 2010 4:07 AM
  • i could recomend 3D Rad, a 3d game maker with simple interface and system, it uses .X models with or without bones, animated or not. soon it will change to PhysX as the collision engine. AND IT IS FREE (but lastest versions are only for donators) check the site: 3drad.com
    |"| /"/|"""\ /"""\|"| |__ __| /\ |"""\ |"| | |/ / | " / | | || | | | / \ | |\ \ | | | |\ \ | | \ | | || |__ | | / \ | | \ \| | |_| \_\|_|\_\\___/|____| |_| /_/""\_\|_| \___|
    Friday, July 2, 2010 3:44 PM
  • You could do a 3D where you model objects as points in space, figure out where to put the points on the screen (see  http://smallbasic.com/program/?QSW885) then put a 2-d image there instead of a point, and scale it to size.  3D has some fairly complicated math, why don't you try a 2-d bow & arrow game first?  Then you could model drag from air resistance & gravity acceleration to see how your models look.

Friday, July 2, 2010 7:45 PM
  • As a kid i started out with BASIC on the C64. Then as a teen i used Blitz Basic on an Amiga.

I see that Blitz Basic is still around with version for Windows, Mac, and Linux. But it's no longer one product. Now they have Blitz3D, BlitzMax, BlitzPlus, etc... I don't know how the versions differ but if they've kept it simple over the years i think Blitz3D with the BlitzGUI add on would be an ideal next step for someone after Simple Basic and before things like C#.

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Products/_index_.php

Edit: added url

Friday, July 2, 2010 8:58 PM
  • ah, and 3drad has some simple functions without scripting, but if you want to script on it, learn AngleScript.
    Saturday, July 3, 2010 8:44 AM
  • and which programming tool do you recommend for a beginner? (that supports 3D)
    I would definitely recommend DarkBasic if you want full 3D.
    Sunday, July 4, 2010 5:54 PM